Roasting Green Coffee Beans for coffee and beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Raja Goomba I

Prisoner of Sobriety
Reaction score
After a yak with madpierre06 (great bloke) about coffee, roasting green beans and the like, when I visited him to purchase some stuff, plus noticing on bacchus' facebook page that they were using Cascara (cherry of coffee), green coffee beans and of course normal black roasted coffee beans in some beers, I thought I'd start a topic on using coffee in beer.

madpierre06 buys his beans green and roasts them at home to keep up with large amounts of coffee that are consumed in his house (and I know now saving a buck on coffee is important since times got a little tougher). $16/kg for green beans, makes it worthwhile for coffee alone and it seems dead easy.

He also mentioned cold steeping some of his own coffee for a porter (and I do like a coffee porter or milk stout) and so I thought I'd do a DIY coffee and a DIY coffee in beer thread.

It's getting close to time where we start to consider brewing porters for winter.

Geez. I wasn't aware that the Crazy Parisienne was not only as ugly as sin but also a coffee maestro. Now I'm sorry I was nasty to him.

We did, however, get to taste a Coffee Pilsner that was truly addictive a few weeks ago (I think I recall it was cold steeped). Yet if you can get good advice from the masters, go for it -- it really was sensational.

I have coffee growing and have roasted my home grown. I have used it for steeping in vodka, smells hella good and tastes hella good. Pain in the arse to prepare your own beans though.

Cascera and things like coffee flour are great ways to use coffee waste products, or what used to be called waste. Never thought of putting cascera in beer though. Id love to give that a go.

Coffee in beer ive done many times. Cold steeping is best, it produces much less acidity, no oils and seems to be more stable.

$16 per kilo is pretty steep for greens though....

$16/kg isn't steep considering any decent roaster charges $45+ / kg roasted, usually more. But yes, you can get greens for $12 or so.

i normally roast my own (well been a bit slack of late and buying them)

modded bread maker and paint stripper heat gun from bunnings (ozito) is my roaster
they call these "roasters" a corretto roaster

beangreen.com.au here in bne sell some nice beans and where i normally buy mine from

the prices of beans has been increasing over the last few years
coffee machines are another hobby i have..... few hiding in the shed, and at work, and where the wife does not look... shhhh
lucky she is addicted to coffee and lets me tinker....

where does the madpierre06 buy his green ?

I did a coffee brown ale and added whole roasted coffee beans post ferment. I know it sounds crazy but worked extremely well. It's like cold drip but much easier to remove the coffee at the end

Thinking of buying a behmor 1600 plus roaster for my B day! The cheapness and quality of Greens on offer is too much for me to pass up. I am paying 16 bucks for 250 g of single organs atm and this is getting costly!!

jimmyjack said:
Thinking of buying a behmor 1600 plus roaster for my B day! The cheapness and quality of Greens on offer is too much for me to pass up. I am paying 16 bucks for 250 g of single organs atm and this is getting costly!!
I used to have the original 1600. It was OK, not great. Often took over 20 minutes to hit first crack. The preset profiles were pretty useless too so the manual override in the 1600+ would be handy. I gave up because I was drinking the coffee faster than I could be bothered to roast and it wasn't fun anymore.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I'm roasting as I type. I'll put some pics up if and when I can.
Hah...thanks for the kind words mate, I'm also about to roast up a couple batches today.

I've got a second hand hottop I paid $400 for about 4/5 years back, has more than paid for itself. Yeah, Bean Green is my main one, used to use c/snobs (I've got a funny feeling there is a username on here I have seen there) a few years back but in 2.5kg bags it soon adds up, at one stage I had near 60kg in the cupboard. Also use Ministry Grounds, and a few specialty stores around brissie have always been generous when you deveelop reklationships with 'em and some will sling me a few green beans occasionally to take home and try out. Also did the whole tree to cup thing with some cherries off a mate's tree, they actually come up ok.

When I did my RIS, I split the batch, half 'n' half, whole roasted in one half and cold steeped in t'other half. My preference was the cold steeped batch, it had more body and a richer coffee aspect without being overpowering. Putting the same brew down in the nextw eek, and hopefully can let it age to take a few tasters to mid year swap.

I was keen to see how coffee might go in a RIS which had some bundy chips steeped in it, having enjoyed the old 'dash of bundy in a coffee' trick years ago. It tasted better then and is best left in the memory banks.

Stay tuned for the French Ciderman co project...

It's a free range biodynamic conflict free 36 degree altitude single origin coffee. Im sure after sampling an espresso we can turn it into a beer.

mstrelan said:
I used to have the original 1600. It was OK, not great. Often took over 20 minutes to hit first crack
This was also my experience, I think the behmor uses the specified input voltage (220, 230, 240V or something) as the calibration for the temperature control. I re-set mine lower and now hit first crack in 17 minutes or so.

Ciderman said:

It's a free range biodynamic conflict free 36 degree altitude single origin coffee. Im sure after sampling an espresso we can turn it into a beer.
Now THERE'S an idea. :beerbang: We'll only need 50/60 odd gms. Eaton's Hill microlots.

I've got a second hand hottop I paid $400 for about 4/5 years back, has more than paid for itself.

This would be my machine of choice but at the current price its outside of my price range!!! The Newest unreleased Behmor is run using an App which looks pretty cool.

jimmyjack said:
This would be my machine of choice but at the current price its outside of my price range!!! The Newest unreleased Behmor is run using an App which looks pretty cool.
A lovely bit of kit, 250gm batches are the go.

I've had a couple of different roasters, for the last 5ish years have used the quest m3, bought direct from manufacturer in Taiwan.
3161_cr__2_.jpg

I do 300g roasts, and have replaced the dial thermometers with Ktype thermocouples, for BT and ET, run roastlogger on the laptop to plot roasts.
Pretty simple sample type roaster ( fully manual control), with a control for amps ( to the 2 elements ) and a fan speed control for airflow, can't change drum speed. All parts are standard type industrial components, so easy to repair, not that I've had to yet. Normally do 6 roasts back to back, enough coffee for about 3 weeks, after which beans are getting stale anyway.
Used to get beans from bean green, but prices shot up 50% in one go, now get mainly from coffee snobs, 4 X 2.5kg bags at a time to keep postage down a bit.

Hmmm. I don't suppose anyone can point me to a CoffeeRoaster to English dictionary 'cos I only have English as my first, second and third langauges. Nah, don't worry. Carry on. As you were etc.

Ciderman said:

Well, we're up and running.

a) Post pulp and ferment.

b ) Drying.

c) Hulling - ******* of a job, one bean at a time. At least there's beers to drink while doing so.

d). And here we go, myself and the Man of Cider will be hoping to give these a test run very soon. Cup + coffee stout.

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

Latest posts

Back