Roasting grains ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugcra

Reaction score
Say I bought a sack of light or pils grains, can I throw an amount of grains in the oven, and get a darker or chocolate version?

I put that question crudely to get my point accross. But hopefuly you get the drift....potentionaly you can buy one sack of grain and get multiple flavours from it.

Your thoughts?

Have you guys tried roasting your own grains, how close did you get to the store bought stuff?

I made some sort of crystal with soaking in water for 24hrs
Drain and roast in oven for 1 hr @ 180'c stiring every 20 min
Also soaked in honey and water for 24 hrs
All worked out pretty good
But thats about as far as ive been

Edit: if you do ive read you shouldnt crack grains for atleast a week
To avoid tannins etc

Interesting...how much did you roast at a time? just using a standard roasting dish?

Theres so much to experiment with this home brewing game, i need more kegs, bigger fridge, more weekends. My thirst is about right though.

American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 83.00 L
Brewer: mark
Boil Size: 85.00 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.25 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 70.31 %
2.25 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC) Grain 14.06 %
0.50 kg Light Munich roasted in Honey (30.0 EBC) Grain 3.13 %
0.50 kg Vienna (Hoepfner) (7.9 EBC) Grain 3.13 %
0.50 kg Wheat malt roasted in honey (15.0 EBC) Grain 3.13 %
80.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (60 min) Hops 24.8 IBU
40.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (30 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
40.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
40.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (1 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
1.00 items Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 kg Honey (2.0 EBC) Sugar 6.25 %
3 Pkgs Safale American (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Heres the first recipe i found with roasted grain
Not the base malt as mentioned but the first one i could find
From memory around half a kg for 20 lt was normal when i brewed 20 lt batches( not with honey only water)
And with the honey i drained and boiled liquid for a second cooled sealed and sprayed top with sod.met.
And added to boil on brew day for a second
The honey was an experiment gone GOOD will do this again

I did some roasting this morning in a 15 litre K-Mart pot over a gas flame. The trick is not to put too much into the pot at once and to continually stir the ******* or it will burn. It is much faster and easier than rooting around with an oven.

hoppy2B said:
I did some roasting this morning in a 15 litre K-Mart pot over a gas flame. The trick is not to put too much into the pot at once and to continually stir the ******* or it will burn. It is much faster and easier than rooting around with an oven.
What did you end up with after how much time?

hugcra said:
What did you end up with after how much time?
I had some malt which I made a year ago and oven roasted a bit at the time. I put it through the mill last week and yesterday I put it in the pot and roasted it for about ten minutes. Made it a fair bit darker. Was only about a kilo and half in there. Wouldn't recommend doing more than a couple of kilos at once as it gets harder to mix the more you put in.
Its really easy to do and you can see it getting darker and just stop when its enough. To do the equivalent in the oven would take ages.

There are some good vids on youtube, cant think of any exact title off top of head but I have seen some good ones on there.
Worth having a look, it never hurts to eyeball the process before giving it a crack.

Ive done toasted malt in the oven a few times, used a pale malt base, worked really well. Just 180 deg C until it goes the colour and or flavour you want.
Works great for adding deeper browns and reds to brews and behaves similar to bought toasted malts.
Haven't tried to make crystals or anything else. Just done this a couple of times cause I ran out of specs. Works well for smaller quantities but then I dont know why you would want more than a couple of kilos at a time of toasted malt anyway.

Back