Road Trip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattress

Reaction score
Heading off on a holiday in January and staying in the following places

Canberra
Dubbo
Goondiwindi
Bribie Island (1 week)
Coffs Harbour
Budgewoi
Back to Canberra

Anyone have any breweries/bars that they can recommend along the way?

Thanks

Mattress

Sorry to hijack this thread, but im heading to Canberra this weekend, and looking for somewhere good to eat/drink on sat night

I found these so far

www.zierholz.com.au

www.wigandpen.com.au

Wig and Pens website is close to useless, so any comments would be great

Wig and Pen.

Great Beer, limited menu, but is in (what we refer to as) the city area, so plenty of other places to eat close by.

Heading off on a holiday in January and staying in the following places

Canberra
Dubbo
Goondiwindi
Bribie Island (1 week)
Coffs Harbour
Budgewoi
Back to Canberra

Anyone have any breweries/bars that they can recommend along the way?

Thanks

Mattress
The Hoey Moey in Coffs has Coopers Celebration Ale on tap at the moment (was $3.50 a stubby 2 weeks ago)
You can sample one of The Bellingen Brewery's beers at either;
Fiasco Ristorante & Wine Bar in Coffs
The Federal Hotel, Lodge 241 or No 5 Church Square(stupidly expensive restaurant) in Bellingen
Or Sarong Restaurant & Bar in Sawtell

My suggestion would be either The Federal or Sarong (i live not far from Sarong) as they've probably got the nicest, least pretentious atmosphere
The Black pig porter isn't a bad drop, but i'm not a huge dark beer fan
Darkwood ale says it's chock full of hops, but when i tried it, it seemed a little bland
and i haven't yet tried the Harvest Ale (which i doubt was made lately with the Nelson Sauvin shortage)

Other than that Coffs is still yet to catch onto craft beer, most BYO restaurants still think over priced euro lagers are the best thing in the beer world, so they offer about 10 similar lagers and have a go at me when I dare to bring along a few bottles of Murrays or Black Duck :( (who are from Port Macquarie, about 2 hours south from here)

Feel free to hit me up to come have a couple of beers while you're here if you've got nothing better to do

Ninja Edit-- There is a bottleshop down across from the turn off to get to the Park Beach Jetty, used to be Porters but can't remember what it's branded as now
They've got a British bloke working there who is REALLY passionate about good beer and they stock quite a lot of great beers, sadly it's on the opposite side of Coffs from me, so it's quite a drive for a beer run

The Hoey Moey in Coffs has Coopers Celebration Ale on tap at the moment (was $3.50 a stubby 2 weeks ago)
You can sample one of The Bellingen Brewery's beers at either;
Fiasco Ristorante & Wine Bar in Coffs
The Federal Hotel, Lodge 241 or No 5 Church Square(stupidly expensive restaurant) in Bellingen
Or Sarong Restaurant & Bar in Sawtell

My suggestion would be either The Federal or Sarong (i live not far from Sarong) as they've probably got the nicest, least pretentious atmosphere
The Black pig porter isn't a bad drop, but i'm not a huge dark beer fan
Darkwood ale says it's chock full of hops, but when i tried it, it seemed a little bland
and i haven't yet tried the Harvest Ale (which i doubt was made lately with the Nelson Sauvin shortage)

Other than that Coffs is still yet to catch onto craft beer, most BYO restaurants still think over priced euro lagers are the best thing in the beer world, so they offer about 10 similar lagers and have a go at me when I dare to bring along a few bottles of Murrays or Black Duck :( (who are from Port Macquarie, about 2 hours south from here)

Feel free to hit me up to come have a couple of beers while you're here if you've got nothing better to do

Ninja Edit-- There is a bottleshop down across from the turn off to get to the Park Beach Jetty, used to be Porters but can't remember what it's branded as now
They've got a British bloke working there who is REALLY passionate about good beer and they stock quite a lot of great beers, sadly it's on the opposite side of Coffs from me, so it's quite a drive for a beer run
Yep that bottlo in Coffs is a good one.
What's that pub on the pacific highway near the train bridge, the greenhouse? The usual beer selection, but it's a kidfriendly place if that's an issue, and I had a fantastic Thai beef salad from there.

Yeah, the greeny is pretty good, but like you said, just megaswill on tap

Back