Riwaka (d Saaz) Supplier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

podon

Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone know where to get Riwaka from? It seams very, very rare and I'm dying to get my hands on some.

I've called a few places, but nobody has them in stock. I'm thinking I'll have to go a substitute..

Cheers.

I was trying. John at GG told me that last season's crop has sold out and next may sell out to commercial breweries before we get a chance to get any.

Pennywise was kind enough to send me 60g he wasn't going to use but that's not enough to share I'm sorry.

Will be my first time using them.

All good, chief. Thanks for the info.

Whats your thoughts on a substitute for aroma? Centennial?

Sorry mate - not having used it, I can't suggest anything. I've only tried it in epic mayhem which I loved so I'm having a crack at something similar.

it looks like most suppliers are out of stock (even nz ones). there are a few suppliers in the US and canada that seem to have stock but they arent the big suppliers (eg hopsdiect, niko etc) so I have no idea if they will ship OS.

you might have to wait for the next season and jump in before the commercial breweries buy up all the stock

I'd contact the people that sell it all, these guys:

NZ Hops

When I go to Auckland I buy mine from these blokes:

Brewers Co-op Auckland

Looks like there's none on their website currently though.

The New Zealand peso is cheap so you'd be amazed how much your AUD will get of these.

Just done a Rakau apa myself, first taste of it is very melony. Yet to try a brew with riwaka.
But will have to put that on the list.

Hopper.

Try Summer Saaz.

summer saaz as a sub for riwaka...yoo moost be jokin. not even close.

if you've not used motuka would go closer, much closer than summer. but there really is no sub...

I've used all three. Summer Saaz is like a tamer version of Riwaka.

Hmm. Looks like I'll have to get into 2012 harvest ASAP.

Thanks all.

I've used all three. Summer Saaz is like a tamer version of Riwaka.

Summer Saaz is nothing like Riwaka in any way.

IMO no single hop is a good sub for Riwaka and this is the reason it has become so popular, because it is unique.

Summer Saaz is nothing like Riwaka in any way.

IMO no single hop is a good sub for Riwaka and this is the reason it has become so popular, because it is unique.

go to a greek specialty shop and ask for some bitter orange preserve, its called nerantzi

now go and brew your favourite beer using cascade as flavour hops

when your beer is ready to drink, put a spoon of nerantzi in your mouth and take a swig of your beer, swish it all around in your mouth and enjoy the taste

this is best substitute i can think of

Just use Cz Saaz with Cascade and you'll get a pretty similar result.

Reason it's so popular is because it's popular. I'd put a hundred on the other"NZ hop line" bred with Cz Saaz being Cascade or Centenial.

But saying Summer Saaz is "nothing like" D Saaz is moronic - Summer Saaz is nothing like PoR. That's a statement.

Summer Saaz is just tamer in the citrus aspect, and leaning more towards the Saaz side.

D Saaz isn't unique. It's pretty damn similar to cascade. And B Saaz.

Just use Cz Saaz with Cascade and you'll get a pretty similar result.

Reason it's so popular is because it's popular. I'd put a hundred on the other"NZ hop line" bred with Cz Saaz being Cascade or Centenial.

But saying Summer Saaz is "nothing like" D Saaz is moronic - Summer Saaz is nothing like PoR. That's a statement.

Summer Saaz is just tamer in the citrus aspect, and leaning more towards the Saaz side.

D Saaz isn't unique. It's pretty damn similar to cascade. And B Saaz.
Indeed summer saaz is nothing like POR, I'm not sure where that came from......., I don't see a lot of similarities to D saaz there though.A mix of B saaz and "insert C hop here", leaning more towards the B saaz is a pretty good claytons version in my mind though.

But saying Summer Saaz is "nothing like" D Saaz is moronic

Um.......no..... actually it is true :beer:

I wonder if all those micros that have run out of Riwaka know they can just sub for Summer Saaz. :blink:

Um.......no..... actually it is true :beer:

I wonder if all those micros that have run out of Riwaka know they can just sub for Summer Saaz. :blink:

Beachy, don't waste your time arguing, just be content in the fact that you are correct that Summer Saaz is in no way a substitue for D Saaz (accept maybe as a bittering addition). D saaz is one of my favourite hops & the reason we do not have it available to the public at present, as we need the small stock we have for our commercial brews

Chjeers Ross

Beachy, don't waste your time arguing, just be content in the fact that you are correct that Summer Saaz is in no way a substitue for D Saaz (accept maybe as a bittering addition). D saaz is one of my favourite hops & the reason we do not have it available to the public at present, as we need the small stock we have for our commercial brews

Chjeers Ross

You're right Ross.

I got quite a bit of citrus from it and back to back with D Saaz batches in APAs combined with a few American hops (like most of the commercials) I found it had a lot of similar properties and by no means would I miss the lineage of it being a Saazer with citrus fruitiness. Melower than the Kiwi cousins though.

Summer Saaz is characterised by balanced, sweet, and fruity hop aromas. Even the untrained nose is quick to detect passionfruit, citrus and melon. It has been noted to be similar in character to the Czech Saaz parent, but without the spicy characteristic.

Did u buy chinese hops based on the blurb? Lol. Call it an experiment and move on?

Latest posts

Back