RIS

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdawson

Reaction score
Planning a RIS using the yeast cake from a black IPA.(Wyeast 1028.)

7.5 Kg Joe White Trad Ale Malt.
0.5 JW Dark Crystal.
0.5 JW Choc.
0.5 JW Roast Barley.
0.2 Bestmalz Caramunich 3.
0.2 Dingermann Spec b.
0.2 Breiss Midnight.
40g Each Goldings, Fuggles,Northdown.
20l final volume.
Planning to charge with co2 in keg and bottle into 750 PET.

What do you think?

All opinions welcome.

Cheers, Hadrian.

What gravity was the bipa?

Generally recommended to reuse from lower grav, paler brews.

Are you going straight on the cake? Washing?

I might be a little snobbish here, so happy to be corrected by those with more experience with JW, but can you source a better base malt?
Either Simpsons, TF or Bairds (even gladfields)?
The base makes a huge difference to any beer, but especially something like a RIS. JW is ~ fine for many other styles but for something that's so malt based, I'd look to use a base malt that's more "malty", like Maris otter, etc.

Also maybe go some med crystal to match your dark xtal. Mellows out the depth/complexity of the crystal.

I think maybe what MJ means is that if you've got sizeable amounts of RB and caramunich 3, why bother with Midnight wheat? Just up either of the first 2

Specb, RB, and the cara add colour, body and flavour, the midnight really only adds colour. I'd replace it and split that edition between the cara and specb. Though a beer like this can never have too much roast either.

technobabble66 said:
I might be a little snobbish here, so happy to be corrected by those with more experience with JW, but can you source a better base malt?
Either Simpsons, TF or Bairds (even gladfields)?
The base makes a huge difference to any beer, but especially something like a RIS. JW is ~ fine for many other styles but for something that's so malt based, I'd look to use a base malt that's more "malty", like Maris otter, etc.
+1 JW has been fairly rubbish for me, the cheapest I go with is barrett burston

Fawcett maris otter would be my pick.

TFFMMO, FTW!!

Edit: actually, Perle malt might be decent for this also, and I think Cleverbrewing have it on sale at the mo'. Could be a good compromise between premium malt and price for a RIS.

Black IPA is around a 5 percenter.

I have always used JW and find it a good base malt but have not tried Gladfield so I may give it a go.
I agree Simpsons Marris Otter is also a good option.

Luckily in Melb we have an excellent supplier in Grain and Grape.

I faxed them a big order yesterday and it was on my doorstep when I got home today.

Never tried Midnight before so I thought I might check it out to add it for colour.

I was planning to dump a sizable quantity of the yeast cake right after kegging the BIPA. 300 ml of slurry has been recommended elsewhere but I may up that quite a bit.

Cheers, Hadrian.

Latest posts

Back