Ris / Barley Wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowy

Drinker of Kegs, Slayer of Fish & Ruiner of Good F
Reaction score
Just got hold of some old King Browns and now I don't have to rely on plastic I am keen to do some beers I can store for a while. Want to try some big beers. Can anyone suggest a decent commercial Russian Imperial and a decent commercial Barley Wine that I could try just to get my head around taste and work out what I want to brew.

the renaisance tribute barley wine is a cracker imo and siera nevada bigfoot is a good example of an american style, it does taste a lot better after 12 months than fresh though so if you get some buy at least 6 for tasting now and into the future.if you can find it old rasputin from north coast is a very nice ris.

Thanks gents obviously the Old Rasputin is popular!

Another Rasputin by de Molen is even better. Lemme know if you happen to find a recipe.

Just got hold of some old King Browns and now I don't have to rely on plastic I am keen to do some beers I can store for a while. Want to try some big beers. Can anyone suggest a decent commercial Russian Imperial and a decent commercial Barley Wine that I could try just to get my head around taste and work out what I want to brew.

Samual Smiths Imperial Stout is one of the best around.

Robinson's Old Tom Strong Ale was a nice barley wine i had a couple months ago.

Ngne Imperial Stout or Hargreaves Hill Russian Imperial Stout are a couple of crackers :icon_cheers:

De Molen Hel & Verdoemenis (Hell & Damnation) is very good and pretty easy to find. Haandbryggeriet's Odins Tipple is sort of halfway between barley wine and RIS IMO, also excellent.

The plain (no bourbon/whatever) Mikkeller Black is my favourite so far.

Back