RIP Richie Benaud

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An Aussie summer was always punctuated by this great mans words, a very sad day for the cricketing world.

Absolutely devastated by this. A massive loss to cricket in both this country and world wide. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. RIP.

My wife and I were lucky enough to meet the great man at Headingly in 1997. He happily posed for a photo and showed a genuine interest in where we'd been in our travels and where we were on to next.
The photo has pride of place. A true gentleman.

Vale Richie.

fxypnq.jpg
Don't make'm like RB anymore

... and that's the end of a splendid over...

RIP Mr Benaud.

Rest in peace Richie, will be raising a glass in your honour tonight

A sad day... -_- was part of my cricket life all the way

No longer will he have to make that big decision each morning between the cream, the off white, the bone or the beige (blazers for those too young to have listened to the 12th man)...

A great career he had and was one of the few Australian TV cricket commentators that I actually enjoyed listening to.

RIP Richie.

Not surprisingly there's a lot about Richie Benaud's life in the media at the moment. But a few years ago there was an article 'The Joy of Six' written by Richard Cooke when Benaud was winding back on his media commitments. Its sort of a premature obituary in a way.

Its worth reading now if you didn't catch it first time round, because in a few words it amalgamates the cricketer with the commentator, and chronicles his influence on the game and the people who have played, administered and watched it over many long years.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/jul/23/the-joy-of-six-richie-benaud

No doubt there will many more good pieces written about Benaud and his life and times in the days and weeks ahead. There's something about the game of cricket that has always brought the best out of writers.

Richie Benaud was one of the best, if not the best commentators of any sport of all time.

He described the situation at hand brilliantly.

Unlike some of the ex cricketer peanut commentators these days who tell you what should be happening on the field rather than what is happening, and bang about how it was in their day.

Feldon said:
Not surprisingly there's a lot about Richie Benaud's life in the media at the moment. But a few years ago there was an article 'The Joy of Six' written by Richard Cooke when Benaud was winding back on his media commitments. Its sort of a premature obituary in a way.

Its worth reading now if you didn't catch it first time round, because in a few words it amalgamates the cricketer with the commentator, and chronicles his influence on the game and the people who have played, administered and watched it over many long years.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/jul/23/the-joy-of-six-richie-benaud

No doubt there will many more good pieces written about Benaud and his life and times in the days and weeks ahead. There's something about the game of cricket that has always brought the best out of writers.
Thanks for that. A good summation and fitting tribute to the great man.

Marvellous

Back