RIP Pistol Patch

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Harry-Rmlbrs

Reaction score
Just a note to let everyone know that my uncle, Pistol Patch, unfortunately passed away on Sunday after a battle with cancer.

I know he hasn't been on here in a while, but for those who know him and his essay-length posts will know how passionate he was.

He will be sorely missed, but I know that it gave him immense joy to know that his work in the brewing world and helping bring BIAB to the masses will continue.

RIP Patcho.

Attachments

MHB

Reaction score
Cant see him wanting peace on any terms, more likely go to hell and stage a takeover!
I don't know what comes next but he will be missed here, appreciate you taking the time to let us know and accept my sympathies on the loss of a great guy.
I'll be raising a glass tonight.
Mark

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
I knew Pistol in back in the early days, when I visited Perth from the Pilbara we would get together for a beer or two. In fact thanks to Pat we were thrown out of two establishments in one night ! I moved to Queensland and Pat also moved here and again were had many fun times over a few beers, he was a regular overnighter at our place.
Really nice guy and someone I am proud to have called a friend.

Rest in peace Pat, you will be missed.

Raising a glass to you tonight Pat. :cheers:

FNQ Bunyip

Non Pro Member
Reaction score
Have not logged in here in a good long while.
I heard of Pat's passing earlier in the week and have been reflecting on our conversations and times spent together, Pat put me up and introduced me to my first brewers when I flew down to my first swap, He also sent me material to make my first Bag and started my journey down the all grain abyss, that was practically impossible up here back then.
As I sit by the fire tonight with a beer I thought I'd drop in back here where it all started and reread a few of Pat's words.

Was a pleasure and honor to have meet you brother , Rest In Peace .

Cheers :cheers:

Fatgodzilla

Beer Soaked Philosopher
Reaction score
Have not logged in here in a good long while.
I heard of Pat's passing earlier in the week and have been reflecting on our conversations and times spent together, Pat put me up and introduced me to my first brewers when I flew down to my first swap, He also sent me material to make my first Bag and started my journey down the all grain abyss, that was practically impossible up here back then.
As I sit by the fire tonight with a beer I thought I'd drop in back here where it all started and reread a few of Pat's words.

Was a pleasure and honor to have meet you brother , Rest In Peace .

Cheers :cheers:
Yep Ned, it's good fun reminiscing "the good old days". He was a champion bloke. Crickey his late night rants were pissers! I loved when he came back and apologise next morning and delete what he wrote! Funny.

Fatgodzilla

Beer Soaked Philosopher
Reaction score
I have spent the day looking at some of his posts.

What a legend!

Back when the forum wasn't just overrun with crap.
Funny enough, there was plenty of crap back then! We were all just a little inexperienced about being on forums.
But yes, the archives are great reading. The amount of stuff I read of my stuff was like .. shit, did I say that? What was I thinking?

The thing Patch will (should) be most remembered for is BIAB. He didn't invent it, but did enough research, experimentation and then publication to be rightly heralded as the man who started BIAB on the road to where it is now.

Nullnvoid

Reaction score
Funny enough, there was plenty of crap back then! We were all just a little inexperienced about being on forums.
But yes, the archives are great reading. The amount of stuff I read of my stuff was like .. shit, did I say that? What was I thinking?

The thing Patch will (should) be most remembered for is BIAB. He didn't invent it, but did enough research, experimentation and then publication to be rightly heralded as the man who started BIAB on the road to where it is now.
Yeah absolutely, there was plenty of crap, it was just a different type of crap to what is going on here these days.

After reading a few of his posts I remember him and was always enthralled which what he wrote, especially as I was getting into BIAB.

Reaction score
Don't visit here much any more, but I just happened to have a look this morning and saw the sad news about Pistol Patch.
I didn't know him at all, but his contributions to the brewing community and in particular BIAB, are legendary.
Pistol Patch was one of the people who inspired me to get into all grain brewing and I'm thankful for him passing on his knowledge.
Rest in Peace.

GalBrew

Reaction score
I also haven’t logged on here for some time but saw this post on the post summary email that gets sent out. Big thanks to Pistol Patch and the awesome and detailed BIAB guides that he wrote all those years ago. The way I learned to brew was to read, read and re-read those guides while trawling the forums for any useful nugget of information Pistol would put out there. I have no doubt that he is responsible for a whole new generation of home brewers taking up the hobby, a worthy legacy indeed.

Vale. 🍻

sinkas

Reaction score
Hi All,
People in Perth we are holding a wake at Clancy's this friday at 6pm,
come and have a been in honor of Pat
Cheers

sinkas

contrarian

Reaction score
This is really sad news. His posting on this forum and others was a huge resource to me starting out with BIAB and the spreadsheet he put together was the only software I used for my first few years of brewing. He always provided well thought out responses to anyone's questions and never seemed to tire answering the same questions for the next crop of newbies.

A huge loss to the brewing community and I will certainly be raising a glass in his honour and replacing all of my 3 piece ball valves with siphons!

sinkas

Reaction score
I knew Pistol in back in the early days, when I visited Perth from the Pilbara we would get together for a beer or two. In fact thanks to Pat we were thrown out of two establishments in one night ! I moved to Queensland and Pat also moved here and again were had many fun times over a few beers, he was a regular overnighter at our place.
Really nice guy and someone I am proud to have called a friend.

Rest in peace Pat, you will be missed.

Raising a glass to you tonight Pat. :cheers:
the Batz brewery stickers were still on his keg fridges till the end,

Doogiechap

Burp..........
Reaction score
BIAB RIP Pat,
Just got news of your passing. Your contributions to the brewing community and your kindness and humour to me as a friend will not be forgotten.
Rest in peace Bloke!!

Latest posts