Right Or Rort?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubes

Reaction score
Was having a flick through the usual Christmas crap that arrives in the mailbox. What caught my eye was an ad for Hahn Premium and Hahn Premium Light side by side. One at $42 the other at $23. Given that there is probably a bit more malt, hops and tax to be paid is nearly $20 a fair difference in price? That is a big difference.

Not saying that light beer is worth buying but it just struck me as odd that the difference is so high. Both made by the same company, and both pitched as a Premium beer so it should be a fair comparison.

Hi rubes,
I'll post some stuff of the top of my head, i have all the exise numbers here but these rough enough ones will give you a idea.
For a start i presume the light is 2.5% and the premium is around 4.9% so at a guess the premuim will need twice the fermentables so the ingredient cost is double. Second there is very little exise on light beer the first 1.5% alc or thereabouts is free from exise so you are paying only exise for 1% alc for the light instead of 3.4% as in the premium. so at a rough guess your paying around 6 dollars more exise for the 4.9% beer plus another 6 dollars for double the amount of fermentables. than the big money spinner your paying a extra $10 dollars for the title premium beer. <_<
this is a very simply overview without me looking at any references or quoting any real infomation but i think you can see it is proberly half in between right and rort.

Jayse

Don't forget the fixed costs of labour, real estate, fermenter time, bottling, packaging, transport, etc. Even if the light was almost water you'd pay the same for those.

Did I say "if"?

Back