Rice solids beer smith help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nebes

Reaction score
Hi all trying to put rice solids into beer smith to make andrews rice larger. Cant seam to find it can someone point me in the direction to were to look for it or if i have to add it can someone give me some info on the color EBC also the potential?
Cheers

If you mean to use plain white rice in your recipe, you could just use the pre-existing listing for "Rice, Flaked" from the grains menu.

Colour is 2.0 EBC & potential of 1.032.

You'd need to pre-cook it to gelatinise & then add to your main mash (flaked rice has already been gelatinised in the flaking process & can be added directly).

If you want a cheap source of flaked rice & avoid the extra step, a lot of Indian groceries sell them in decent quantities.

Thanks guys i was thinking that would be right martin ill just use that profile

I wouldn't.
Sugars ppg (if we have to talk in silly units) is 1.046, the rice syrup (Briess) is 78% solids, that is 78% of what sugar gives, or 0.046*0.78=0.03588 (call it 1.036)
Just shy of 10% difference.
Mark

The parameters of any malt/adjunct etc. can be manually adjusted in Beersmith, so it's just a matter of changing it to suit & let the program do the rest.

I've just changed my flaked rice parameters to reflect extract potential of 1036.

Thanks Mark!

MartinOC said:
You'd need to pre-cook it to gelatinise & then add to your main mash (flaked rice has already been gelatinised in the flaking process & can be added directly).
Probably no need to pre-cook, rice starch has a very low gelatinisation temperature: it's strain dependent but can be as low as 55 oC.

I really think it is well worth doing the whole boil thing.
From Brewing Science and Practice
Gelatinisation temperatures.JPG
Mark

Hi guys thanks for all the info the last time i boiled it upthe night before worked a treat i was more just looking on how to enter it into beersmith e.g. custom entry or was there a profile already made for the EBC ect. Will fun with martins advice that it is the same as the flaked rice profile.
Cheers Ty

Nebs
If you are using "Rice Syrup" the extract potential is higher than for Rice either flaked or boiled call it 1.036 or 78%, if it "Brown Rice Syrup" it will be darker at around 5 EBC @ 1.050. If you are going to use White Rice, leave the settings where they are.

L_C
Interesting read (or skim rather) I would agree that if you know the exact type of rice you are using and it happens to be the particular Calrose Rice and no other and if you milled it very finely (talc) you might get away with adding it directly to the mash.
Personally I would be reluctant to take the punt, be a bit of a shit to spend the time and money on a brew only to find that a big hunk of your extract is missing and that there is probably a large fraction of undigested Glucan and Protein in the wort.
Would be different (maybe) for a large enough brewery that could get a certified delivery where you could be confidant that you are getting exactly what you think.
Mark

Latest posts

Back