Rice Hulls

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boots

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I've got today and tomorrow off, and will be brewing my first wheat beer, but I'm having trouble sourcing Rice Hulls.

I've tried Grumpy's, Bill at Holden Hill Brewmaker / Goliath web, and a fodder store.

The biggest lead I got was from the Fodder store, and the guy there said that there had been a change recently in it's availability. It used to be available in 25Kg sacks, but now it is only available in 120KG pallets (from his supplier anyway).

Now that's a big bulk buy even in AHB standards, so I was wondering if anyone knows whether they're available?

It looks like I might be changing the grain bill of my brew, but to be honest I have no idea what percentage of wheat is safe to use without them (copper manifold with very fine slits).

Perhaps some muslin cloth?

Cheers
(BTW - what a supurb day to have off. Weather is quite nice at the moment - doing some chores around the house listening to my Brewing Network radio shows chugging down some APA B) )

Hey Boots,

If you are worried I'd just put a big hop bag over your manifold and go like that. I've done many many wheat beers and only used rice hulls twice (on my 100% wheat beer and my current heferyeizen (wheat + rye + pils)). The later because I found I still had some. I'm not convinced on my system that I needed them as I used a hop bag over my manifold.

Beers,
Doc

Thanks Doc. I don't have a hop bag, but I do have some muslin cloth baby wraps, I reckon I'll use one of them and see how I go.

I haven't had a brewing disaster in at least 3 brews so I'm sure it'll be fine ;)

Cheers

Boots.

I've managed to do a wheat beer with 60% wheat malt and get away with it.

Won't kid you and say the lauter was very quick, but it got there. :lol:

Just make sure you really thin the mash at mashout. You should be right.

Warren -

boots - dont forget to take the baby out ;)

Boots,

Try a few stockfeed outlets. I just manages to get hold of some this very afternoon. At first he told me he only had the 120kg jobs too but when I mentioned I only wanted a couple of Kilo's for brewing with he said he had an older open bag he will sell me some out of. I will pick it up tommorow :)
Your luck may vary.

Cheerin

Borret

I was only looking at a 60% maybe 70% wheat bill anyway so I reckon with the muslin it'll be worth the risk. Not sure what your setup is Warren but if you can pull 60% wheat with no precautions i should be fine.

Steve - she's 2 and a half now so she wouldn't fit in the tun anyway :)

Boots.

I just use a 10 gallon round Igloo with a Phils False Bottom. Rice hulls would have helped at the time, however I got by. Don't be afraid to rake the grainbed with a knife or something similar and keep the liquid level up and it will work.

Wheat runoffs always look crappy one way or another. :beer:

Warren -

Boots,

I regularly do 60% wheat malt mashes with a grain steeping bag over my manifold and have never had lautering problems. I made a 50% raw wheat mash the other day and it lautered perfectly. I think you'd do fine with muslin cloth in a 70% wheat malt mash.

Cheers - Snow

Hi Boots

I've made wheat beers with 50% wheat and no rice hulls. I had no problems with run-off and that was using a home-made Bazooka screen.

Cheers
MAH

Boots, sorry for the late reply. I can give you a couple of kilos of hulls if you think you need them.
give me a call 0439499605
cheers
darren

Thanks for the offer Darren, but I've probably left it too late now. Thanks anyway though.

And thanks for all the responses as well. Now that I know the amounts of wheat people are using and getting away with, I'm pretty sure I'll be ok.

I'll report back on how I go.

Thanks again.

Boots

I've done a 70% wheat malt beer and didn't have any trouble, I just made sure that I sparged as slow as possible.

At Grumpy's today I made another Honey Wheat using only 50% malted wheat, worked just as well as an all barley-malt mash.

tdh

Back