Rice Hulls In The Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OHHH NOOOOO!!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIEEEEEE!!!..... IT'S CHERNOBYL ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

Wait! what? you mean we're not going to have grandchildren with 3 heads, 6 feet and inverted eyballs unless we fill an olympic swimming pool, encased an a very large, sealed plastic bubble with rice hulls and take a dip?? is that taking it out of context? 'cos I was totally thinking about to do that!.

I think you'd have more chances of health issues by living on a busy road than any kind of genetic issues relating to getting rice hulls wet.

But thanks for sharing.
thats right you could be drinking water from SA! :D

Bit of a bump but I will be purchasing a 125kg bale of hulls as I have chooks and guinea pigs. I spoke to the producers/suppliers of the hulls and they said there is nothing added. The gas is not an issue and is safe two weeks after the silo is gassed (that I know from work). They supply brew shops too.

How about a dollar a Kg? Please message me if interested. It is to arrive shortly.
Otherwise,
R

I've only done a handful of AG batches, but one was 40% wheat and the mash drained without issue.
Next was a 50% wheat, I used rice hulls (500g in a 10kg grist) and it clogged up completely. Still unsure as to why this happened, but I think I'll be upping the the water:grist ratio next time I try that.
In sheer desperation I cranked my sparge water temp right up, and I am at this moment struggling through a pint of one particularly astringent weizen.

I never used to bother with Rice Hulls but if you can get the$25 bale add 500gm.

I add to every batch it is so much better efficiency and less stuffing around.

A big plus for any masher

Bit of a bump but I will be purchasing a 125kg bale of hulls as I have chooks and guinea pigs. I spoke to the producers/suppliers of the hulls and they said there is nothing added. The gas is not an issue and is safe two weeks after the silo is gassed (that I know from work). They supply brew shops too.

How about a dollar a Kg? Please message me if interested. It is to arrive shortly.
Otherwise,
R
Mate I retail a 5Kg bag for $5 so $1/Kg, that includes the time to weigh them out and a 35cent food grade barrier/vacuum bag; can land 4 bags anywhere from Port Macquarie to Wollongong for $10, call it (for 20Kg) $1.50/Kg delivered
If you want to go into competition with home brew shops you might have to sharpen the pencil a bit!
Mind you $7/Kg is a bit on the getting screwed side of the line and I can understand you amping up.

The normal rate is about 10% of grist, having said that personally I have never needed them even in a 100% wheat (made just to prove a point), it largely comes down to how well your grain is cracked, it is possible to reduce wheat to a very even nearly flour free kibble that will drain easily.
I do find Rice hulls can throw some flavour (sort of straw and some colour surprisingly enough straw colour) so soaking and rinsing them is a good idea, unless you are concerned about removing any chemical residue that might be on the hulls, just soak them in hot (80+oC) water, strain them out and stir them into the mash near the end.
Mark

I done many wheats never had a problem at all. only stuck sparge I had was when I knocked the manifold apart and it sucked in all the grain so got clogged and that was fun to fix 70lt MT almost to the brim stuck haha. leather glove under chemical glove fixed it in 10x 1 min increments lol

I have never ever commented when a brewstore owner made a moronic comment but here it.
1. I am not going into competition with anyone nor trying to make competition of any kind.
2. I am not going to mail anyone. It is for pickup. As a favour to brewers around me. I am getting the 125kg lot because it will be used for pets and garden. As mentioned, I am getting it for my chooks and guinea pigs so will be buying it anyway.
3. I am not going to vac bag. Waste of money. It doesn't go off, absorb moisture and will be opened constantly, in addition to never neing vac bagged in the first place so it would be useless.
4. There is no chemical residue to be concerned with.
5. It is not a profit making venture. It covers my costs only +/- a tad
6. I live in Melbourne so try getting it here for $1.50/kg. LHBS is more than a dollar and requires driving a considerable distance.
7. It is hardly a difficult endeavor to undercut the LHBS, irrespective of the reason for it. There are numerous products, such as rice hulls, that are ridiculously overpriced.
8. Your skill at cracking beer etc is not applicable to everyone. A bit of husk chucked in for less than a dollar a kg can make the day so much better for the average brewer.
9. I have someone buying 20kg already so it cannot be that bad a deal. It is cheaper than buying the common 15kg bags (they were priced from the suppliers at $16-18).......if you can be stuffed spending an hour driving to collect a bag...great time and $ saver.

See....not such a bad option.

Mate I retail a 5Kg bag for $5 so $1/Kg, that includes the time to weigh them out and a 35cent food grade barrier/vacuum bag; can land 4 bags anywhere from Port Macquarie to Wollongong for $10, call it (for 20Kg) $1.50/Kg delivered
If you want to go into competition with home brew shops you might have to sharpen the pencil a bit!
Mind you $7/Kg is a bit on the getting screwed side of the line and I can understand you amping up.

The "normal" rate is about 10% of grist, having said that personally I have never needed them even in a 100% wheat (made just to prove a point), it largely comes down to how well your grain is cracked, it is possible to reduce wheat to a very even nearly flour free kibble that will drain easily.
I do find Rice hulls can throw some flavour (sort of straw and some colour surprisingly enough straw colour) so soaking and rinsing them is a good idea, unless you are concerned about removing any chemical residue that might be on the hulls, just soak them in hot (80+oC) water, strain them out and stir them into the mash near the end.
Mark

Latest posts

Back