Rice Hulls In The Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bats

Reaction score
I've been searching the forum for remedies of stuck sparges etc as I am planning on attempting a brew without the use of Rice Hulls.

I have always used them in my mash as I was paranoid about getting a stuck sparge, thanks to rice hulls, I am yet to experience one.

The reason I am planning on going without is I have trouble sourcing rice hulls in my area. I can buy then from my LHBS but they are about $7 for a kg. I usually use 1kg for a approximate 6kg grain bill.

Does anyone use anything less than 1kg of hulls for 6kg + grain bills? Some on here have suggested only using a couple of handfulls in the mash. Any suggestions?

i would give it a go without em bats. really you might be surprised. maybe the system youve got and the type of brewing you use doesnt actually need em! youll never know otherwise, and keep shelling out cash. good luck!

sim

ZERO

I've never used rice hulls and that is for grain bills of up to 15kg. I've had one hard to move sparge in that time. I will use them when I do a pumpkin beer shortly for obvious reasons and would for know culprits such as Rye, but apart from that I've found that I'm good to go without with my equipment.

:icon_cheers:

Have never used rice hulls before, but I have never had a stuck sparge before either. I have only done about 20 all grain brews, mainly APA's and English pale ales/bitters so I am not overly experienced. Usually mash at 3 litres per kilo of grain at 66-67C with a false bottom.
Give it a try without the hulls and see how it goes.

I never had any stuck sparges as such, but my efficiency has risen since using rice hulls for the last 8 or so brews. It does mash in a bit easier as well. 1-2 handfulls would be plenty. I bought Rye at the same time which was the main reason for getting it, and it was cheap :)

I have to say, I am the same as most above.

I have NEVER used rice hulls for any of my brews. I am yet to do a brew that would require some assistance with run-off (Large Rye bill..... Large wheat, Lots of oats etc)

I find that I can look at a crush when it is done for me at the LHBS and tell whether I will need to use a larger percentage of water:grain ratio based on how much intact husk I have. I will use more water to grain if there is less husk. I find this to work nicely.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it unless using grains that will traditionally give you issues.

Grain feed stores sell Rice Hulls in a LARGE Bale..
Used for horse stalls...
Bishops in South Nowra will get it but only a full Bale..
Cheers PJ

I brewed an IPA with a 15kg grain bill put through a 80L cylindrical esky with a false bottom and mash pump. No rice hulls and no stuck sparge, the pump / flow rate was greatly reduced though. If you batch sparge and keep a high enough sparge temp you shouldn't have any problems. The other area for consideration is how fine your crush is when you mill your grain, too fine and that may lead to reduced lautering efficiency.

Cheers

TS

I used about 300g in a 10kg grain batch - drained nicely compared to the normally compacted grain bed issues I get.

I tend to only use rice gulls in beers with a reasonable % of wheat (or rye - once I actually brew a rye beer).

A couple of handfuls per 5kg grain bill should be plenty. You can always add more then stir your mash again if you are having issues.

I've had a couple of stuck sparges. PITA. Though that has usually been when I've gotten a little carried away with my run off speed. If I have rice hulls on hand, I will always throw in a couple of handfuls.
I am left with a light and loose grain bed every time.

The only time I've ever encountered the stuck sparge boogieman is when I was in a mad rush and charging through the mash out. Totally my fault.
I've used grain bills with as much as 65% wheat, supposedly the king of sparge stickers as well as big stouts with lots of oats with no problems. And I only run the most basic of setups - esky and braid, thanks very much.
Taking your time and having a nice slow drain after the bed has settled seems to be the key, in my case anyway.

Good point there Dave, I also find with a big (double or more) batch in my keggle MT (i.e. a deep grain bed) I am more likely to get a stuck sparge just due to the sheer weight of the grain.

I had no need for rice hulls for years until I setup a recirculating mash system. Needing them now, I use around 500g/6kg grist.
Forget paying $7/kg. Find a livestock produce / farm supplies near you, they sell in 15kg & 150kg bales. The $15kg bale is about $20.

Thanks for all the replies.. My setup can handle a max of 15kg grain bill which I never usually do anyway so I may try without the hulls. I mainly do pretty simple brews with base and specialty malts and very rarely use wheat or oats. I think I'll be right but I will still go and buy some rice hulls in bulk to have on standby, just in case.
Cheers guys.

I bought a 125kg bale of rice hulls for a recent local bulk buy, divvied up in 10kg lots.

Cost $88 from my local farm supply store. Pet supply stores might also sell them as they can be used to line chook houses, rabbit hutches etc.

I use them when the rye % sneaks over 40% in a grain bill and the rare occasional i brew a wheat beer.

Just be sure to wash the Rice hulls well with hot water before use. They use Phosphine Gas to fumigate the rice in the silo's to keep pests at bay.

Phosphine is liberated as a gas again pretty quickly when it's in contact with water. Make it HOT water.

In context, It's not all bad news, but it can cause some health problems at a genetic level over a period of years, with high levels of exposure (more than we're talking about here) and it always pays to be safe.

Cheers,
Martin

Just be sure to wash the Rice hulls well with hot water before use. They use Phosphine Gas to fumigate the rice in the silo's to keep pests at bay.

Phosphine is liberated as a gas again pretty quickly when it's in contact with water. Make it HOT water.

OHHH NOOOOO!!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIEEEEEE!!!..... IT'S CHERNOBYL ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

In context, It's not all bad news, but it can cause some health problems at a genetic level over a period of years, with high levels of exposure (more than we're talking about here) and it always pays to be safe.

Wait! what? you mean we're not going to have grandchildren with 3 heads, 6 feet and inverted eyballs unless we fill an olympic swimming pool, encased an a very large, sealed plastic bubble with rice hulls and take a dip?? is that taking it out of context? 'cos I was totally thinking about to do that!.

I think you'd have more chances of health issues by living on a busy road than any kind of genetic issues relating to getting rice hulls wet.

But thanks for sharing.

There is food grade rice hulls and non food grade, it comes down to which chemical treatment they have had.

QldKev

There is food grade rice hulls and non food grade, it comes down to which chemical treatment they have had.

QldKev

I think you will find that the so called food grade version has been dropped. They used to be steam treated but they found the treatment did not do a totally thorough job, so that product was removed from sale. A good rinse, say 15 mins in a 1% cold peracetic acid solution should suffice if you are concerned.

Wes

Latest posts

Back