Rice Hulls In Brissy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobrien

Stubborn Scientist Brewing
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Been trying to find Rice Hulls here in Brissy - I've tried two brew stores, two supermarkets and a health food store - can't see it anywhere, and no-one has heard of it. Any pointers?

Matt

What are they used for? could you use rice flakes instead maybe?

Rice hulls are a by product of rice manufacturing.

They are used as mulch in the garden, soil conditioner and animal bedding. Try your local feed barn or large garden supplier.

ahh - good idea! Thanks - I'll follow that advice!

But I'm going to be stubborn and still do my wit :D

Matt

(although I did go and pick up another 500g of german pils to up the enzymes)

I know there aren't quite so many pyrotechnic display companies in AU that make their own shells from scratch as in some other countrys...BUT...

Rice hulls are used in the manufacture of shells and certain lift charges, so if you have a large pyrotechic display firm in Brizzy (which I figure you may very well have), maybe call them and ask where they source hulls from :)

PZ.

Im in Sydney, and use Rice Hulls in ALL my brews, as my pump in my RIMS set-up sucks the grain bed down to much, ie rice hulls to the rescue.
I love em, as no matter what my grain bill or size i can rest assured i wont have any probs.
When i was looking for them, i could only buy a truck load from the rice co-op in Griffith NSW. They didnt want to help me any other way.

So,cut a long story short i found a friend of a friend that works in the Rice Industry and he got me a couple of big sacks of them, enough to last me prob 2 yrs !
Good luck with your hunt M OBRIEN, and if your having no luck soon PM me and i'll send you some to get ya going.
Im running a bit low now, so im keen if anyone knows a supply source. ( dont want to push my friendship with my previous conection )

Cheers
:super:

homebrewworld.com said:
So,cut a long story short i found a friend of a friend that works in the Rice Industry and he got me a couple of big sacks of them, enough to last me prob 2 yrs !
Good luck with your hunt M OBRIEN, and if your having no luck soon PM me and i'll send you some to get ya going.
Im running a bit low now, so im keen if anyone knows a supply source. ( dont want to push my friendship with my previous conection )

Cheers
:super:
[post="70329"][/post]​

I like your spirit Homebrew world.. Even though you are running a bit low, you are still willing to share a beginner.. Good on you..

:beer:
PeterS....

homebrewworld - thanks for the info and the very generous offer - it is most appreciated! However, I am not that much in need of them right now - I have just completed my first AG wit, and did it without the rice hulls and its seemed to work just fine. That said, I'm going to try and find them locally, as I think it would be a good thing to be adding as you say!

brissy bulk buy; brissy bulk buy :D

Matt

MOB,
Don't be scared by the paranoia about stuck sparges etc. Rice hulls are an un-necessary ingredient in brewing.
Watch your crush (little flour) and she'll be apples.
If you made a 50% wheat beer and had no problems, rice hulls won't be needed ever.
In the case of compacted or stuck sparge a "shot" of compressed air, CO2 or water from your hose into your drain valve will cure all your problems.
Rice hulls are rarely used in "food-grade" applications so you have to be suspect of the quality of them.
cheers
darren

Darren, i wish you were at my brew day. All there will testify that no blowing back up the tube would clear that sparge.

Been there done that. Seems nothing goes right when poeple are watching!
Dont be afraid to connect the hose to the outlet for a few seconds. A good stir and slow down the drain-off should fix it.
I bet that rice hulls wouln't have helped either

you can get rice hulls by the Kg from the bulk feed store in Condell Park in Sydney --- out near Bankstown

so I think the bulk feed store ( horses etc) maybe the way to go , used for bedding etc

Can someone please tell me what they are paying for rice hulls - & what quantity the price is for??

cheers Ross

While we are on the subject of rice hulls. How long do these keep for. I have about half a kilo left.

I was thinking they should last for ever.

cheers
johnno

so I think the bulk feed store ( horses etc) maybe the way to go , used for bedding etc

Be VERY careful about where you go, i work in a stock feed place on the central coast and i can tell you that our rice hulls sit there for an extremely long time getting eaten/shit on/pissed on and nested in by rats. I wouldn't touch em from our shop with a 1000 foot pole! The ones we use are 125kg bags for horse stables. So just be careful about this one guys :)

Ross said:
Can someone please tell me what they are paying for rice hulls - & what quantity the price is for??
cheers Ross
[post="117885"][/post]​

Bump. Anyone found a source of good clean rice hulls in Brizzy?

TidalPete said:
Ross said:
cheers Ross
[post="117885"][/post]​

[post="121635"][/post]​

Pete,

I've found some, just got to work out the logistics of handling them.
I'm having a large storage shed built in the next few weeks, which will enable me to store grain & other products. I'll keep you posted.

cheers Ross

Ross said:
TidalPete said:
Ross said:
cheers Ross
[post="117885"][/post]​

[post="121635"][/post]​

Pete,

I've found some, just got to work out the logistics of handling them.
I'm having a large storage shed built in the next few weeks, which will enable me to store grain & other products. I'll keep you posted.

cheers Ross
[post="121637"][/post]​

Cheers Ross,

Looks like I will soon be making regular trips to Craftbrewer Headquarters & it's liquid delights. :p

Back