Rice Hull Replacement?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dug

Reaction score
I want to brew some wheat beers, but there is a problem. Tassie HB shops don't have rice hulls, nore do any stock feed places... except if i want to buy 125kg bale @ $170. are there any substiutes for rice hulls. Could I wash out and dry some spent grains in order to get the barley hull?

2 options I guess,

1: start a bulk buy thread
2: ?

Online sponsor? Shouldn't be too expensive - just order a few bags of hops or some liquid yeast to make postage costs irrelevant.

I've never used rice hulls myself,but i'm curious as to the cost if bought from a hb shop? i'm in country vic and my local produce store sells them by the bale for about $60 Is that a good price? They're quite often sold as a mulch for the garden.

I want to brew some wheat beers, but there is a problem. Tassie HB shops don't have rice hulls,

Don't stress, You don't need rice hulls - just set your run off a little slower to avoid over compacting the grain bed.

Cheers Ross

Don't stress, You don't need rice hulls - just set your run off a little slower to avoid over compacting the grain bed.

I agree, never used them. On average I get around 4% less efficiency than with non-wheat beers but no difference otherwise.

Thats good news, I'll try making a wheat beer next week without the hulls.

Latest posts

Back