Reverse Osmosis Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Kadmium, I can't for the life of me see why I would add chalk, other than to increase pH if the mash pH was too low, will try without next time I brew a pomme ale.

On the sparge water pH I typically use 20L+ in a 20L mash as my boil off is usually around 8L. to end with 24 L in the kettle of which 20 L goes in the fermenter so my final runnings can be 1.005, it's not so much about the extract as getting the boil volume I need.

Thanks Kadmium, I can't for the life of me see why I would add chalk, other than to increase pH if the mash pH was too low, will try without next time I brew a pomme ale.

On the sparge water pH I typically use 20L+ in a 20L mash as my boil off is usually around 8L. to end with 24 L in the kettle of which 20 L goes in the fermenter so my final runnings can be 1.005, it's not so much about the extract as getting the boil volume I need.
Yep fair enough mate! Give it a try, don't forget you will need less Lactic Acid to drop the PH without the chalk in there.

Back