Reverse Osmosis Unit Bulk Buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirem

Reaction score
I a looking at adding one of these units to my brewery. I normally go and get containers of RO water from those units that are around the place such as in petrol stations. I then use a water calculator such as in ProMash to get the water chemistry right for the style.

I found these on ebay and have emailled the guy for a bulk buy price and shipping cost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reverse-Osmosis-6-Stag...1QQcmdZViewItem

For those of you in Adelaide who would be interested in going into a bulk, price dependent of course?

Anyone got any other units they could recommend?

Kirem

I'll love one of these , Queensland lets me out of the SA bulk buy :(

Batz

I am not sure of the logistics of doing an Australia wide bulk buy.

We will get a cheaper price per unit but then I think the shipping will be to one address and then distributed out. I assume this is the only way to get a good price on shipping and handling. Then the units will have to be posted out to the rest of Australia from that one location, which will of course adds more to the shipping and handling.

Anyone have any other ideas on handling bulk orders so that the whole of Australia could be involved?

I get a lot out of Batz posts and would love to include people like this in an order.

Kirem

Just to confirm if you use RO water then you can adjust the water to suit the style a lot easier then with any other water?

Or in other words is RO water better then filtered, tap or rain water?

If so I'd be keen for the QLD buy Batz..

I use RO water and then modify it and have had very good results.

In theory, if you can get a water analysis of your brew water then you can use that to match brew water analysis from the major brewing regions around the world.

The problem is when there is already too much sulphate or carbonate etc in the water you are trying to modify. This is where RO water is useful. RO water will always have next to nothing in it unless the RO unit has a problem.

Town water chemistry can change, Rain water can pick up chemicals from things such as agricultural sprays.

Kirem

Sounds like a good idea and the price looks pretty good. How would we go with replacement filters here in Australia though?

I remember reading that filters are a standard indutry size and are readily available from hardware stores etc.

I haven't heard back from the seller yet, so I will ask the question.

K

Don't these need a 240volt input, and these yankee ones would be 120V? is us$76 the buy now price or what?

They look like standard 10" filters, so getting the filters will be easy (see the link for the beer filter).
I just can't bring myself to use something that wastes 70% of the water going into it, not with our current water restructions.

You just use the water that it discards for other purposes. That can go onto the garden or into the washing machine.

I don't think that the discarded water would be good for much. It will be high in salts and other undesirables.

K

sinkas said:
Don't these need a 240volt input, and these yankee ones would be 120V? is us$76 the buy now price or what?
[post="84801"][/post]​

Where on that unit does it need power????

jgriffin said:
They look like standard 10" filters, so getting the filters will be easy (see the link for the beer filter).
I just can't bring myself to use something that wastes 70% of the water going into it, not with our current water restructions.
[post="84804"][/post]​

Where does it discard the water from(which filter body)??

I'm not big on info on these water filter thingys

Have a browse on ebay, search on osmosis. There is a mob that regularly put in a reverse osmosis with deioniser, starting price $125 plus postage, $30.

Their ebay shop is called Filters Galore.

There are also other reverse osmosis units that come up for sale.

pint of lager said:
Have a browse on ebay, search on osmosis. There is a mob that regularly put in a reverse osmosis with deioniser, starting price $125 plus postage, $30.

Their ebay shop is called Filters Galore.

There are also other reverse osmosis units that come up for sale.
[post="84826"][/post]​

I would be interested in one. I imagine I would only use it a couple of times a month.
Any idea how do the membranes cope with warter sitting in them for extended times?

I purhased one a while back from a place here in Adelaide and it has been a very good unit indeed. It cost about $300 dollars but all parts and all service are no more than a short car drive away.

Having used all of the different methods --

RO -- very good for light beers add a small amount of clcium Chloride and or Calcium Sulphate.

RainWater -- if collected off a tasteless roof [if it tastes good the beer will too] treat it as you would RO. I also made an activated carbon filter and found the rain water and the RO water responded almost identically.

Adelaide water -- It amazes me people actually drink this stuff -- BUT it is possibly my favourite water for anything other than Lagers [which I don't brew much anyway]

Would I recommend one?

No -- not a needed item.

Steve

I live in Melbourne. The water seems to be fine here. Of course the old nylex hose adds its own special character.

Hey SOS.

How about a Nylex hose graph? :p

Mmmmm.... Plastic/Rubber taint. :rolleyes:

BTW I just use a 10" in-line carbon filter. The results are satisfactory enough for my tastes.

Warren -

chiller said:
Would I recommend one?

No -- not a needed item.

Steve
[post="84838"][/post]​

That'll do me then !
Put me down for one :beerbang:
Heaps of stuff Steve does not need that I can't do without ! :lol:
Course you'll notice he has one :blink:

Batz

I thought you were looking to retire Batz :p