'reverse' filtration with carbonation corny lid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vrtigo

Reaction score
Hi AHB,

Just had an idea occur to me this morning and thought I would pick your collective brain about it.

Could a carbonation lid double as a filtration device?

For those not familiar a carbonation lid is a corny keg lid with an additional gas in port in the top, connected to a 0.5 micron aeration stone with gas line to keep it at the bottom of the keg. It is a great way to carbonate your beer faster while leaving it at a regulated pressure thus avoiding over-carbonation.

The other day I left my gas lines all on and connected while serving beer to friends. As beer was drawn from the corny keg with the carbonation lid I started to get beer backflowing through the gas in line (pressure in this keg < pressure in other kegs, connected via gas manifold). Originally I was annoyed at the idea that I would have to sanitise my gas lines but then I got to thinking. The cold beer in the gas line had been slowly pressed through a 0.5 micron stone sitting just off the bottom of the keg..... a perfect way to filter? FYI my keg fridge JUST holds 3 corny kegs (with the door severely butchered).

My proposition:
1) Place 2 (cleaned, sanitised, CO2 purged) kegs in fridge - one with corny lid
2) Put fermented beer into keg with corny lid
3) Allow 24 hours for beer to chill
4) Apply gas pressure to gas in, attach carbonation stone gas in port to beer out port of 2nd keg via tubing
5) Allow beer to slowly filter backwards through beer stone, using PRV on 2nd keg as necessary
6) Carbonate now filtered beer in 2nd keg and enjoy
7) Profit?

If this is effective it would be a VERY cheap and easy way to filter beer and is an idea I have not seen anywhere else before (apologies if I missed it somewhere).

Thoughts / Ideas?

Cheers,

I would expect it would get clogged very quickly.

Dent made an inline keg filter that works look it up on search function

Latest posts

Back