Reusing yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daamu

Reaction score
Hey brewers just wondering how much washed yeast people pitch into there next batch. I have reused yeast a few times and tried different quantities and wasn’t sure if there was a general rule for how much is to much or not enough.
Cheers

Hey brewers just wondering how much washed yeast people pitch into there next batch. I have reused yeast a few times and tried different quantities and wasn’t sure if there was a general rule for how much is to much or not enough.
Cheers
Difficult to judge, maybe this will help.
https://www.wyeastlab.com/pitch-rates/

I usually make a starter as if I was using a liquid yeast pack.
The assumption being that a 2l 3l 5l (depending on type of beer size of batch etc.) starter will end up with a similar cell count
whether the yeast came from a new pack or a stored jar as the amount of wort would limit the final cell count.

This is based on "seems to work" not science, I've no way of checking the actual cell count.

Thanks, I haven’t tried starters yet but even then shouldn’t there be a recommended amount of washed yeast to get the starter going or will the yeast grow to the required amount based on the volume of the starter. Currently I wash and decant the yeast into the next brew I have tried various amounts in the past and being inexperienced probably haven’t noticed if there has been a problem so to speak. Just got to thinking and trying to get more consistent I guess.

Bit late with my opinion but ................
I have established to my complete satisfaction that making yeast starters is not necessary or worth the effort. Confirmed by Fermentis when contacted.
There is no need to wash yeast intended to be reused within say 4 weeks. When deciding the quantity to reuse on a new brew it's just a matter of figuring how much you expect to use in the 4 weeks. And there is nothing critical about "4 weeks", it's just what experienced brewers consider a suitable period. Many have reused yeast that is 6 months plus old. You may also recall yeasts were revived from beer that went down with the Mary Rose in Henry V111's time. Remember that yeast should be stored at around 1 to 2 degC & it should be slowly brought up to wort temp before pitching. This is to reduce shock & stress, at least that's the theory & I am careful about this.

Last edited:
The viability goes down hill the longer the yeast is kept, the analogy with the Mary Rose yeast is not a good comparison, they would have all sorts of scientific personnel working on getting that yeast back to life. Here is Whites take on yeast maintenance. https://www.whitelabs.com/beer/yeast-storage-and-maintenance-0
I am going to get one of these when they get down in price.;) https://www.oculyze.de/en/better-brewing-yeast-counter-yeast-viability/;)
Now that yeast viability app would be so nice to have, only problem is a DO meter would be needed to go with it, we are just home brewers, (unfortunately some may say) how far are we prepared to go?
Dave Line, may his soul rest in peace could never have envisaged the lengths home brewing would aspire to. On wards and upwards I say. Without to much cost involved.

Glad you chimed in pete as i was feeling guilty. I just swirl the last bit of beer round in the yeast cake and pour into a sterile jar. Cap than pour it into the next batch.

Latest posts

Back