Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Reusing yeast

Discussion in 'General Brewing Techniques' started by daamu, 10/1/19.

1. daamu

Posted 10/1/19
    Hey brewers just wondering how much washed yeast people pitch into there next batch. I have reused yeast a few times and tried different quantities and wasn’t sure if there was a general rule for how much is to much or not enough.
    Cheers

portsparky likes this.
  2. wide eyed and legless

Pro

Posted 10/1/19
    Difficult to judge, maybe this will help.
    https://www.wyeastlab.com/pitch-rates/

krz likes this.
  3. altone

Kept man
    Posted 11/1/19
    I usually make a starter as if I was using a liquid yeast pack.
    The assumption being that a 2l 3l 5l (depending on type of beer size of batch etc.) starter will end up with a similar cell count
    whether the yeast came from a new pack or a stored jar as the amount of wort would limit the final cell count.

This is based on "seems to work" not science, I've no way of checking the actual cell count.

4. daamu

Posted 11/1/19
    Thanks, I haven’t tried starters yet but even then shouldn’t there be a recommended amount of washed yeast to get the starter going or will the yeast grow to the required amount based on the volume of the starter. Currently I wash and decant the yeast into the next brew I have tried various amounts in the past and being inexperienced probably haven’t noticed if there has been a problem so to speak. Just got to thinking and trying to get more consistent I guess.