Reusing Yeast Blends

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatus

Reaction score
Hey all,

I routinely repitch from slurry, and I'm thinking about trying out the Yeast Bay Funktown Pale Ale, which is a blend of Vermont and Brett I believe.

Has anyone repitched this, or any other blend? Do you get the same kind of result, or will the blend ratio be thrown off?

Eventually one will become dominant, that'll take a while though, often longer than you will Re use it

I went about 5 pitches and it was fine

I re-used roeselare slurry about 3 times. Aceto was definitelly more dominant as things progressed.

Fermentation conditions were similar but nothing controlled enough to really suggest it must be the yeast blend. Beers were aged for a year or more so one or another may have had more oxygen exposure for example.
Definitely worth a go anyway.

I've gone three generations on the Funk Town with great results. Didn't notice much drift at all.

What I would do is make a master starter of about 2lts

Then split than into 6 smaller starters. label them Nos 1-6 and put them in the fridge. Small coke PET bottles are perfect.

Take the first split and make that your start and keep re-using that untill it mutates/changes/dies

Take the 2nd split from the fridge and do the same until its stuffed....repeat

You should be able to get upto 30 brews out of your original starter

Late back to the party, but thanks everyone! Good to hear its not a one-and-done.

Those that have used the funktown - Its said to be great for hoppy beers, so I assume it throws the funkiness off fairly early? (not a cellar-for-a-year type deal - which is hard to do with hop-monsters).

FWIW, I have re-used the Wyeast W3056 what blend a few times (maybe up to 5 or 6), and never noticed it shift or fade.

I believe the Funktown blend only has a relatively small amount of Sacch "brett-like" trois (or whatever it's being called these days). I think the flavor was overwhelmingly of Conan yeast. If this blend drifts at all, it would probably drift towards the sachh/brett trois side of things, which might be a good thing.

Latest posts

Back