Reusing lager yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judanero

Yeast maketh the beer.
Reaction score
So I'm just about done with lagering my first lager, and planning on pitching a biggish doppelbock onto the yeast cake.
My question is should I let the lager warm back up to 11 or 12 degrees before transferring to keg? So that yeast is back at fermenting temps for when I put the doppel in?

I'd planned on putting the doppelbock cube in the chesty with the lager, set temp to eleven for 24hours then keg and pitch.

Any advice or input would be much appreciated.

Cheers

The yeast temp should be as close to the wort temp as possible so you don't shock the yeast. If you get within the +/- 5 degree range the yeast should be fine.

The advice I've received is that you really should be washing your yeast, especially as it sounds like your lagering it on top of the yeast cake. Two brews worth of Trub may give you some off flavours in the doppelbock

I think it was Nick (RIP) who quoted 2 cups of trub for a lager (1 for Ales) any more is heading into over pitching and isnt great practice.

Removing the trub from the yeast.. "Rinsing" is always a good idea but many people do without that process with no discernable off flavours.

Ok sweet, thanks for all the helpful replies.

I'll put the cube in with current lager and get them to same temp before using, plus I'll tip majority of the yeast cake out before pitching the doppelbock.

Cheers fellas you rock B)

If I was you I'd just keep your current lager cold while transferring it to keg, that way you have the beer roughly where you want it and you also avoid possible foaming while kegging.

That little yeast that you have left in your fermenter will warm up pretty quickly without that big thermal mass of beer on top of it. This is how I usually do it.

Another thing that I only know from hear say and can't confirm from experience:
Yeast can get shocked when warm yeast is added to colder wort, but not so much when cold yeast is added to warmer wort.

A bit like when you're in the shower: switch from cold to warm feels good, switching from warm to cold not so good.

And while we're talking about alger pitching: If you can, pitch colder than you're planning to ferment.
I usually cool wort and yeast (when I'm not repitching) down to 4-6 degrees, then let it warm up to 9 or where ever I want to ferment at. This requires ideally a big healthy starter and a good dose of oxygen.

On your current repitch you already have a big healthy starter and don't really need to worry about the oxygen, so just try to cool your wort down a little more if you can. If you can't then don't worry about it as you will still make great beer.

Back