Returning to brewing - advice on kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pist

Reaction score
Gday all,

After a long hiatus from brewing due to being well and truly over bottling, I am finally moving into a bigger place with more room, and will now have the room to keg and plan on doing so. I have no idea where to start as far as buying equipment or what I need, but theres a couple of things I am probably after:

Probably will want to go with a beer gun rather than an in-door tap, as I want to keep the flexibility of using the fridge for other purposes I.E holding food should the need arise, and I'm led to believe these are easy to disassemble and clean.

Not keen on renting a gas cylinder, as i reckon this will be expensive in the long term.

Any advice on where I should start will be appreciated.

The sponsors at the top of the page are usually among the first places I start looking whenever I need anything, other than that, Keg King and ebay.

You can still keep other items in the keg fridge (although this is not the case with myself and my partner) with taps on the front. Just get shanks long enough to not intrude too much and keep the beer and gas lines tidy (once again, not the case in our house). It'll be a lot easier to pour yourself a beer and also use less energy due to the amount of times you'd need to open the door to pour one.

As for gas bottles, keep an eye on gumtree and ebay for some cheapies. There's often a pretty good deal to be found (I scored a 6.8kg bottle with 3 kegs for ~$300 a couple of years back). Otherwise there's a place on ebay (ubrewit maybe??) that sells pretty reasonable gas bottles, and also many options through sponsors and other HB stores.

advice on kegging - YES do it!

gas bottle - ex fire extinguisher - if you let us know where you are someone will know a fire extinguisher guy near you who is home brew friendly.

i agree on putting a tap in door/wall to avoid opening door every time you need a beer, also good quality taps are a godsend. i've got a mix of Perlick and Perlick flow controls - my opinion is the flow controls are good but not as good as everyone raves. but the perlick's themselves (ie forward sealing) are awesome taps, easy to keep clean and pouring well.

legging, get going. I now keg and if I was made to go back to bottles I wold throw the hobby in. I have a fridge with 4 kegs, and all taps are contained n the fridge so I open the door for a drink. to stop the escape of old ir I have fitted a piece of Masonite that hangs from the op shelf and does a good job of sealing in the old air. I have a mix go Pluto guns and plastic picnic taps, all work great.

Latest posts

Back