Returning home brewer with an upgrade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spookism

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I used to brew a couple of years ago and am just about to get back into it.
The way I did it before was 1 week in a fermenter, 1 week in a secondary with a couple of days cold crash before into bottles with Cooper's Sugar for another fortnight.

This time around I still plan on bottling them, but after carbonating them in a keg.

As I have no real desire to mess up my first brew, from what I've gathered and understood on the process, my brewing adventure will now be:

Brew.
1st Fermentor for a week
2nd Fermentor for a week with a cold crash.
Transfer to keg and carbonate with c02
A few days later transfer to bottles.

Am I correct if I:
Leave the c02 gas hooked into the kegs for a couple of days turned on and just purge once or twice and refill?
Not put any priming sugar into the bottles and technically should be able to drink pretty soon after?

Cheers for any help and can't wait to be around these parts more.

Spook

Hello friends,

I used to brew a couple of years ago and am just about to get back into it.
The way I did it before was 1 week in a fermenter, 1 week in a secondary with a couple of days cold crash before into bottles with Cooper's Sugar for another fortnight.

This time around I still plan on bottling them, but after carbonating them in a keg.

As I have no real desire to mess up my first brew, from what I've gathered and understood on the process, my brewing adventure will now be:

Brew.
1st Fermentor for a week
2nd Fermentor for a week with a cold crash.
Transfer to keg and carbonate with c02
A few days later transfer to bottles.

Am I correct if I:
Leave the c02 gas hooked into the kegs for a couple of days turned on and just purge once or twice and refill?
Not put any priming sugar into the bottles and technically should be able to drink pretty soon after?

Cheers for any help and can't wait to be around these parts more.

Spook
I think you are doing the bottling the hard way, after the cold crash run off into a bottling bucket with the priming sugar and bulk prime, fill the bottles and wait 2 weeks (minimum) before trying, depending on the beer longer conditioning is better.

I think you are doing the bottling the hard way, after the cold crash run off into a bottling bucket with the priming sugar and bulk prime, fill the bottles and wait 2 weeks (minimum) before trying, depending on the beer longer conditioning is better.

Okay. Thanks.

However, if I was to do it that way - is that the correct way?

If you want to carbonate in the keg there are a few days to do it, set it at serving pressure for a few weeks, force carb, etc.

You would then want a counter pressure filler to transfer to bottles, also probably would want the beer in the keg at a slightly higher carbonation than usual.

Bulk priming and bottling would be the easier option, but I do love being able to pull a few bottles off the keg to take with me.

Get that keg hooked up to a tap!

It is nice to bottle off sometimes, I use a carbonation cap into those brown PET bottles - works a treat and the beer stays good for weeks.. lemon squeezy!

Also, ditch the secondary, it's not necessary, just go 10 days in primary and then cold crash.

Agree with others:
Ditch the secondary- you can leave beer in primary for the whole ferment.
Bottle conditioning is easy, I rarely fill bottles from a keg.
Don't brew based on time - take a gravity measurement to see if your beer is done.

The only way to successfully bottle from a keg is with a counter pressure bottle filler. There are other ways but nothing beats a CPBF

Back