Retrubing Yeast With Different Og

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shed101

Beer Dog
Reaction score
I'm finishing off fermenting an OG of 1.091 Belgian with 1214 yeast currently. The beer is slightly darker than amber but not really dark.

I'm thinking of plopping another brew in on top and I've read that when doing this it's better to put a darker beer in on top, but my intended recipe is closer to OG 1.060 and probably a fair bit lighter in colour.

Will doing this affect the flavour of the second beer, or will it just make the beer a bit darker (i'm not concerned about cosmetics)?

I have previously read elsewhere that other brewers are also concerned with a high IBU yeast cake under a lower IBU wort - why not simply pitch a cup of the slurry rather than using the whole yeast cake? Then the colour effects will be greatly reduced.

I would be pitching in accordance with Mr Malty personally. No need to pitch a whole yeast cake for a 1060 brew.

2c.

I have previously read elsewhere that other brewers are also concerned with a high IBU yeast cake under a lower IBU wort - why not simply pitch a cup of the slurry rather than using the whole yeast cake? Then the colour effects will be greatly reduced.

I would be pitching in accordance with Mr Malty personally. No need to pitch a whole yeast cake for a 1060 brew.

2c.

IBU is no problem as i'll be upping those plenty.

You are of course right, I won't need anywhere as much yeast ... I think I was just being lazy, trying to avoid a full clean up :unsure:

Yeah I put half the yeast cake from a secondary fermenter into a batch the other day (approx 200 ml). When I went to check on it about 30 hours later it wasn't fermenting. Next two days it still wasn't fermenting. The other half of the cake was pitched into my friends batch at the same time, I called him up and he told me that he's started going that night. I went and bought some yeast, panicing that I'd somehow added crap yeast and I'd ruined a batch. However before I pitched more yeast I noticed the croizin, I did a reading and sure ennough it had finished fermenting before I had time to check if it was fermenting.

Moral of this story: you don't need much yeast cake, certainly don't use enough that you could modify the flavour of the beer.

Also be mindful if you're doing high gravity beers you can kill the yeast if you reach its tolarance and the cake won't work. I think the tolarance of the yeast you used is about 12% so you should be right unless you got a really low final gravity.

Back