Retrobate Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mall

Reaction score
Morning espresso? No my Retrobate Stout....a corker

IMG_20180609_085846.jpg

Recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/646195/reprobate-stout

Doesn't look too bad. I'm thinking of doing a quick stout to use up a can of goop I bought a year ago. So it is going to be a partial. The thing that is stopping me at the moment is that I don't have any flaked barley. You don't have any flaked barley in your recipe either. Some notes on Stouts that I have made suggest to use 10% flaked barley (for body), and also 6% oatmeal or wheat either in place of, or in addition to flaked Barley.

I like that you haven't overdone the Crystal.

Did you use any particular yeast strain for yours? I can't see one on there.

Doesn't look too bad. I'm thinking of doing a quick stout to use up a can of goop I bought a year ago. So it is going to be a partial. The thing that is stopping me at the moment is that I don't have any flaked barley. You don't have any flaked barley in your recipe either. Some notes on Stouts that I have made suggest to use 10% flaked barley (for body), and also 6% oatmeal or wheat either in place of, or in addition to flaked Barley.

US-05 with starter..got the recipe from "Brewing Classic Styles" so an American Style.

Bah - don't worry about the flaked barley - just go for 10% flaked oats - I normally just use something like this - https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/321220/woolworths-rolled-traditional-oats Seems to do the trick (And I do like me some stout..)

Bah - don't worry about the flaked barley - just go for 10% flaked oats - I normally just use something like this - https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/321220/woolworths-rolled-traditional-oats Seems to do the trick (And I do like me some stout..)
Have you tried brown malt? I've read that brown malt and roast barley help with body. The one time I used rolled oats they didn't seem to do anything for body. I also read somewhere yesterday that flaked barley does nothing for body either. I'm hoping for haze. Discovered that I used the can of goop a long time ago, so mine will be all grain.

Have you tried brown malt? I've read that brown malt and roast barley help with body. The one time I used rolled oats they didn't seem to do anything for body. I also read somewhere yesterday that flaked barley does nothing for body either. I'm hoping for haze. Discovered that I used the can of goop a long time ago, so mine will be all grain.
Never tried brown malt, tbh. If you did a standard stout recipe and one with rolled oats, did a side by side, you might then notice the difference in body. Also, you'll probably be happier with the all-grain stout - hint - if you DO put oats in it, remember to give it a longer mash time for full conversion.

Brown Malt helps with awesome.

Made a strong Porter that was about 25-30% brown malt. It was godly.

After an attic rummage I discovered that I have 40+ bottles of it left. Good times.

Never tried brown malt, tbh. If you did a standard stout recipe and one with rolled oats, did a side by side, you might then notice the difference in body. Also, you'll probably be happier with the all-grain stout - hint - if you DO put oats in it, remember to give it a longer mash time for full conversion.
I tend to chuck my oats in for the last 10 degrees or so raising to mash temp - so by the time I start adding the rest of the grains and stir they end up with an extra 10-15 minutes contact time. I've never missed my gravity estimates from beersmith when using oats, up to 20% of the grist

Back