Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating using the link above.
  1. Brewer's Friend is having an open giveaway, ends soon, so enter now!

Click Here to Enter Now!
    Dismiss Notice

Retrobate Stout

Discussion in 'General Brewing Techniques' started by Mall, 9/6/18.

1. Mall

Posted 9/6/18
  2. hoppy2B

Home Page:
    Posted 9/6/18
    Doesn't look too bad. I'm thinking of doing a quick stout to use up a can of goop I bought a year ago. So it is going to be a partial. The thing that is stopping me at the moment is that I don't have any flaked barley. You don't have any flaked barley in your recipe either. Some notes on Stouts that I have made suggest to use 10% flaked barley (for body), and also 6% oatmeal or wheat either in place of, or in addition to flaked Barley.

I like that you haven't overdone the Crystal.

Did you use any particular yeast strain for yours? I can't see one on there.

3. Mall

Posted 9/6/18
    US-05 with starter..got the recipe from "Brewing Classic Styles" so an American Style.

hoppy2B likes this.
  4. pnorkle

Posted 9/6/18
    Bah - don't worry about the flaked barley - just go for 10% flaked oats - I normally just use something like this - https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/321220/woolworths-rolled-traditional-oats Seems to do the trick (And I do like me some stout..)

5. hoppy2B

Home Page:
    Posted 10/6/18
    Have you tried brown malt? I've read that brown malt and roast barley help with body. The one time I used rolled oats they didn't seem to do anything for body. I also read somewhere yesterday that flaked barley does nothing for body either. I'm hoping for haze. Discovered that I used the can of goop a long time ago, so mine will be all grain.

6. pnorkle

Posted 10/6/18
    Never tried brown malt, tbh. If you did a standard stout recipe and one with rolled oats, did a side by side, you might then notice the difference in body. Also, you'll probably be happier with the all-grain stout - hint - if you DO put oats in it, remember to give it a longer mash time for full conversion.

7. TheSumOfAllBeers

Posted 11/6/18
    Brown Malt helps with awesome.

Made a strong Porter that was about 25-30% brown malt. It was godly.

After an attic rummage I discovered that I have 40+ bottles of it left. Good times.

hoppy2B likes this.
  8. fdsaasdf

Posted 11/6/18
    I tend to chuck my oats in for the last 10 degrees or so raising to mash temp - so by the time I start adding the rest of the grains and stir they end up with an extra 10-15 minutes contact time. I've never missed my gravity estimates from beersmith when using oats, up to 20% of the grist