Retro fitting a ball valve

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly79

Reaction score
I'm about to cut a 1/2" S/S hex nipple and socket into my 50 Ltr BIAB. pot. I will be screwing a ball valve on this then a few fittings to attach clear hose. It will be used for transferring wort to the cube after boiling. Just after some thoughts on the best height from the bottom of the pot to install it. Cheers everyone.

I have 2 pots. One is 400mm x 400mm 50litres, and the ball valve is mounted on a 316 external 1/2" fitting tig welded in place. It is 20mm above the base of the pot. It has a 3" dial thermometer mounted directly above it on an internal 1/2" fitting. It is approx 115mm from the bottom of the pot. Both fittings are centred underneath the handle to allow a slight tilt in the pot when extracting the wort. The 97liter pot is 500mm diameter and the fitting is 3/4" and 30mm above the base of the pot below the handle. Sorry didn't measure the location of the thermometer. Didn't use any calculator site or anything just measured, looked right, welded. It worked out really well, I never notice the height of the drain, on either pot so they must be good.

Rossco

Thanks rossco. I was thinking about 30-40mm up off the bottom. Good idea putting it on the same side as the handles to tip out the last of the wort.

Curley I don't recon it needs to be that high if you are using a chiller. You can easily judge where the trub is and avoid getting it into the frementer. I put the chiller in front of the valve to make it go around.

Not using a chiller yet. Might go with 30mm. About to get the hole saws out. Wish me luck. [emoji12]

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1433051682.200562.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1433051718.352056.jpg

Job done. No leaks. Will replace the brass ball valve with a S/Steel one

Curly79 said:
Will replace the brass ball valve with a S/Steel one
Make sure you go with a 3-piece jobbie. You'd be amazed the crap that gets trapped in a ball valve & a 3-piece is much easier to dismantle for cleaning.

Latest posts

Back