Retailers mark up and what is a fair hit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
citymorgue2 said:
which part? The top part should be self explanatory bar a few spelking mistakes.

The 2nd part is becuase in another thread some life of brian jokes are going on and I couldnt resist making one in here.
Sorry mate, I was just taking the piss regarding the spelling... :p

I'd like to buy a pound for ~$20. Like the kiwis do.

Ross buys $11 pounds of Cascade and sells them for $9.90 per 90g. That's $50

So yeah - quite the markup. I have no worries with this - but why not sell Cascade for $30 a pound instead of $45?

Then I'd not buy straight from America.

Is there honestly no profit in it unless you mark up by 400%?

EDIT: I bought a 90g pack of cascade from CB last week. I find them invaluable for small quantities and service and quality.

Nick JD said:
I'd like to buy a pound for ~$20. Like the kiwis do.

Ross buys $11 pounds of Cascade and sells them for $9.90 per 90g. That's $50

So yeah - quite the markup. I have no worries with this - but why not sell Cascade for $30 a pound instead of $45?

Then I'd not buy straight from America.
I'd like to know where the hell I can buy a pound of hops for $20...seriously, I would. I'm currently paying about $9 for 100g

wbosher said:
I'd like to know where the hell I can buy a pound of hops for $20...seriously, I would. I'm currently paying about $9 for 100g
Kiwis can't buy pounds of kiwi hops?

wbosher said:
I'd like to know where the hell I can buy a pound of hops for $20...seriously, I would. I'm currently pay about $9 for 100g
You bloody Kiwis would just jump the fence and steal it :beer:
and my thongs, What is it with you blokes and thongs ?
Nev

Gryphon Brewing said:
You bloody Kiwis would just jump the fence and steal it :beer:
and my thongs, What is it with you blokes and thongs ?
Nev
Over here a thong is something completely different. :lol:

I'm serious about the hop thing though, I'd love to know where I can buy bulk in NZ...any Kiwis here?

the way i see it is if you need / want something bad enough you will pay what the retailer is asking simply because if you didnt need it you wouldnt be buying it.

sometimes i dont mind paying a little bit more simply because generaly the service that comes with it from the likes of Nev, ciro and ross any anyone else i have delt with has been great.

simply put yes it costs more to purchase here in australia but why hot help out the guys that are here that do help us ???

Westaussiebrewer said:
the way i see it is if you need / want something bad enough you will pay what the retailer is asking simply because if you didnt need it you wouldnt be buying it.

sometimes i dont mind paying a little bit more simply because generaly the service that comes with it from the likes of Nev, ciro and ross any anyone else i have delt with has been great.

simply put yes it costs more to purchase here in australia but why hot help out the guys that are here that do help us ???
I agree. But only if they aren't taking the piss.

As an example, an old guy was in Craftbrewer last week buying a $70 temp controller. Now we've all bough the exellent STC 1000 for $16-$20, and I said nothing and watched it get rung up - and I assume it's a much better quality product (when my STC is still working perfectly), but fark me, there's a big difference between $75 and $16.

So, I'll continue to shop wisely. Retailers may see it as shopping like a wise arse - I see it as questioning the status quo and voting with one's wallet.

Craftbrewer is a great shop, I'm always spruiking their products ... when they are better than others. My refractometer is the same as theirs for less than half the price. Etc.

Yob said:
why from HERE of course

Im happy to sell you some at a 400% markup :ph34r:

aah feck... Im not a retailer so alas I can offer you bubkis
Where do you get it?

Nick JD said:
I agree. But only if they aren't taking the piss.

As an example, an old guy was in Craftbrewer last week buying a $70 temp controller. Now we've all bough the exellent STC 1000 for $16-$20, and I said nothing and watched it get rung up - and I assume it's a much better quality product (when my STC is still working perfectly), but fark me, there's a big difference between $75 and $16.

So, I'll continue to shop wisely. Retailers may see it as shopping like a wise arse - I see it as questioning the status quo and voting with one's wallet.

Craftbrewer is a great shop, I'm always spruiking their products ... when they are better than others. My refractometer is the same as theirs for less than half the price. Etc.

fair enough but simply put some people really dont care about cost as they find it easier just to go buy off the shelf this guy you seen purchasing the temp controller may just not have known where to look or may have just not cared and wanted something local its up it each individual to do there research on what they want and how much there willing to pay

sure i shop around to but at the end of the day its easier to just put an order in down in perth with the guys down there and pick up next time in down that way.

basically each to there own

I question whether it was even B Saaz. Probably Summer Saaz.

Ross said:
Wrong again... We stock quite a few products bought from the USA at exactly the same price that you brewers can purchase for. Not only that, but we have to add 10% gst when we sell, so we are already 10% behind the game before we make any margin. We could just not stock these items, but fortunately, whereas we are unlikely to make a sale to computer savy individuals that have no desire to support Australian business, we have many customers that aren't or like/prefer dealing with us & understand that without a margin we don't exsist.
Do you buy any meat from the supermarket or local shops Nick, or do you buy it all direct from the farm because of the money grabbing retailers in the middle?
I have no problem with people buying direct from source, or anywhere they like, just get a little tired of the constant attacks from some quarters that we are money grabbing bastards. Our business model is based on having the lowest prices we can sustain, but unfortunately (unless we buy up all the chinese factories & USA hop farms) we cannot always be the cheapest.

Cheers Ross
Actually, it's more like 11% if you do the reverse calculation.

I have no problem with anyone making a decent and fair buck. I really don't think any reputable and knowlegable Aussie HB retailers, whether on line or shopfront, are ripping us off.

Latest posts

Back