Result If Pitching Yeast At High Temp..?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchjazz

Reaction score
Hi all, yesterday i put down another brew and made a mistake and was not able to get the temp down straight away so i pitched US-05 yeast at around 35 degress. Im just wondering what is the reason and what will be the result by pitching yeast at a higher temp? Within a couple of hours I had it down after pitching to fermenting temp of 21 deg.

It should be fine, not ideal but if u got it down to 21 deg C quick and did not thermal shock the yeast to much pitching into 35 deg C wort, it should be ok. Ale yeast is pretty forgiving. Lager yeast like 2124 or 2001 (my favourites) need to be pitched at around 10 or 12 deg C if pitching from a starter or a little warmer if pitching straight from the Wyeast pack, just to give the lower yeast count time to build up and fire.

In the top right hand corner, there is a search box. Type in "pitch high temp" or something to that effect you will find this gets asked frequently.

IMHO, if you got the brew down to 21 within a couple of hours you will not have an issue.

ps. How did you get the wort from 35 to 21 in a couple of hours, no way would my fridge do that. Where is the probe?

QldKev

Ahh..Thanks SWJ i was a little worried.. i checked things this moring and it seems to be bubbling away just fine. I was concerened it may affect the flavour?

From the yeast book I read, yeast has its biggest influence on flavour of beer within the first 48 hours (or something like that) after pitching. When yeast adjusts and multiplies the temp affects all the bi-products created by the yeast. At temps of 18 for some yeasts these bi-products are excellent and give the beer a wonderful character and flavour. At temps of 30 for some yeasts this causes them to put out bi-products that taste not so good and give the beer a horrible character.

In my quest to make good/great beer at home I have found that paying attention to detail is a must. Many a time I went with the "she'll be right' attitude only to find my beer being sub standard. If you cant get your wort down to 20 or even 18 before pitching then you need to do something about that. If you arnt particularaly fussy about your beer then I wouldnt worry about it but if you are striving for perfection (as I would presume a lot of 'craft' brewers are) then you need to be proactive and do the right things instead of being reactive and trying to work around the bad things.

OK - I feel like I have almost given a lecture here to someone asking an innocent question - certainly didnt want to come across like that. Just trying to help.

Good luck.

In the top right hand corner, there is a search box. Type in "pitch high temp" or something to that effect you will find this gets asked frequently.

IMHO, if you got the brew down to 21 within a couple of hours you will not have an issue.

ps. How did you get the wort from 35 to 21 in a couple of hours, no way would my fridge do that. Where is the probe?

QldKev

Hi QLD Kev,

I used 15 liters of water that I had in the fridge overnight it was around 10 degress. I thought by adding this to 6 liters of hot wort I should achieve around 20 degress. I didnt test my theory prior which I should have and it end up being 35 deg. So i pitched and put the fermetner in the bath and added ice. This started bringing it down quite quickly and then put it in the fridge. It may of been a little longer than a coule of hours but no longer than 4. Seems to be bubbling away ok..

From the yeast book I read, yeast has its biggest influence on flavour of beer within the first 48 hours (or something like that) after pitching. When yeast adjusts and multiplies the temp affects all the bi-products created by the yeast. At temps of 18 for some yeasts these bi-products are excellent and give the beer a wonderful character and flavour. At temps of 30 for some yeasts this causes them to put out bi-products that taste not so good and give the beer a horrible character.

In my quest to make good/great beer at home I have found that paying attention to detail is a must. Many a time I went with the "she'll be right' attitude only to find my beer being sub standard. If you cant get your wort down to 20 or even 18 before pitching then you need to do something about that. If you arnt particularaly fussy about your beer then I wouldnt worry about it but if you are striving for perfection (as I would presume a lot of 'craft' brewers are) then you need to be proactive and do the right things instead of being reactive and trying to work around the bad things.

OK - I feel like I have almost given a lecture here to someone asking an innocent question - certainly didnt want to come across like that. Just trying to help.

Good luck.

Cheers bear!

Im going to make another batch the same this weekend but ill obviously make changes to ensure my pitching temp is aroun 20 degress. ill let you know if I can tell the difference.

There is no issue with pitching higher & then dropping the temp as you have done - Relax

Cheers Ross

I used 15 liters of water that I had in the fridge overnight it was around 10 degress. I thought by adding this to 6 liters of hot wort I should achieve around 20 degress. I didnt test my theory prior which I should have and it end up being 35 deg.
Theres a calc here that can help dial your final temp in if you're going to do this again.

Yep Cheers felton just had a play with it and it will come in very handy! Turns out even if i added 2 deg water is still would of been way out ... Cheers mate!

Latest posts

Back