Residue Ring

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacardi

Reaction score
This is my 2nd crack at a brew using caramalt, light malt, cascade hops and a can of Canadian with the yeast in the lid.

Flavour wise, it's not bad. I quite enjoy it and the punters are impressed too.

But what is this ring of residue at the top of bottle - I'm guessing yeast?

The first time it happened I assumed it was because I was too hasty bottling, but the 2nd time around she's fermented for 10 days at around 20C, gave 3 consecutive consistent SG readings and left to bottle ferment for 2 weeks.

What's causing it and how do I prevent it?

Cheers

IMAG0580.jpg

This is my 2nd crack at a brew using caramalt, light malt, cascade hops and a can of Canadian with the yeast in the lid.

Flavour wise, it's not bad. I quite enjoy it and the punters are impressed too.

But what is this ring of residue at the top of bottle - I'm guessing yeast?

The first time it happened I assumed it was because I was too hasty bottling, but the 2nd time around she's fermented for 10 days at around 20C, gave 3 consecutive consistent SG readings and left to bottle ferment for 2 weeks.

What's causing it and how do I prevent it?

Cheers

View attachment 57662

What are you priming with? If it's dry malt extract, then you've got a krausen ring from a slight secondary fermentation in the bottle. You don't usually get that with dextrose.

I've used a kilo of light spray malt after mashing the caramalt and primed the bottles with ~6gr white sugar. No dex.

I agree does look very much like krausen ring. Could also be hop residue if you chucked the hops in without a hopsock close to bottling time.

So if it's krausen did I bottle too soon? I'm curious as I didn't get this before going partial.

That's caused by the barley used to make the malt being harvested from a field containing crop circles.

Don't you watch the Tooheys ads?

Latest posts

Back