Residual yeast in Fermenter ... Permanently?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoichiometrist

Stoichiometrist
Reaction score
Hi All.
My first post, and first brew in about 20 years. Excited to get back into it!

I'm about to brew a nice Belgian Trappist style ale - recipe from AHB ;)

I bought Wyeast 1214 from the local HB shoppe. The owner cautioned me about using this yeast in my brand new Fermzilla because he said these yeasts can stay in the tiny plastic grooves/scratches permanently and thus will affect all subsequent brews.

I have searched on AHB and generally on google, including Wyeast site. Couldn't find anything specific about this topic. There were a couple of comments about wild yeasts taking over a brew and for the brewer to not use the container again.

So, I'm turning to AHB for some advice. Thank you, in advance.

Don't know where he's getting that from, sure if you are using some of the bugs (sour beers) you need to be very careful to get rid of them or you can get lots of unexpected sours in following brews.
1214 is just a yeast, if your cleaning and sanitising regime are up to scratch there wont be any problems.
Never use anything abrasive to clean, that will create scratches that can harbour all sorts of nasties.
Good quality cleaners and sanitisers used as directed and you wont have any problems.
Mark

Back