Rescue My Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironhorse

Reaction score
Guys,

Due to a medical emergency in the family followed by a dash to the local hospital, the Dark IPA I had commenced and got to Wort only stage had to take a back seat to the action...so after I returned home, I boiled it for about 10minutes in the hope it would kill any nasties, put the lid on it, and went to bed...that was 1030 last night..maybe I should have been more dedicated, but in my world, I can't afford to rock up to work fatigued...so anyway,

My question is this - I plan on going home this afternoon and finishing off the brew. I was going to do a 60 min boil, but 1. Would a 90 min boil be a good idea after the 18 hr delay?
2. Have I killed this beer (I'll be bloody disappointed, it had one hell of a grain bill in it)?

I saw a thread where someone went to brew after leaving their wort for 6 days, and as expected it was goooone. I'm hoping that's not the case with this...

does it smell funky???
If not.. and hey, I am no expert, but I would imagine it would be just fine!...
Worst thing I would say would happen that you got a bit of a sour thing going on there, but it might add a bit of complexity??? meh... My vote is firmly on it will be fine, and definately don't turf it...

I'm confused. So you've finished your mash/etc then had to run off before the boil?

If you haven't done your 60 minute boil yet I'd say that would be enough to kill any nasties present.

Slash, yep, you got it right, I didn't get to do the boil, just a quick 10 min one before I went to bed in the hope it would kill any nasties...

It will be fine mate. I've heard of home brewers braking up there brew day my mashing at night, putting the lid on and going to bed then waking up in the morning to start sparging and the boil. I've never done it personally. You'd be surprised how long the mash will stay hot though and in under 24 hrs if you did get bugs in there it would have had much time to alter the beer (sour). As soon as you boil they'll all be dead.

Yep it should be fine. Boil it as usual and go from there

I've had a similar experience to this. Put a mash on and sparged, then had to leave once I got it to boiling point. I left it to the next day and finished it off.

Overall the Swartz turned out ok. But there was a very slight sourness underneath the malt and hop spice. It was still drinkable. It was off style, but it kind of interesting. Some people even loved it.....

So I'd say, try and work with it. You might have even invented a new technique or get lucky and it might be completely fine

Thanks guys, boiled and now in the fermenter. It will be an interesting style, using Wyeast Trappist yeast so it's going to be out there anyway. Mind is elsewhere, so it was a good release for the arv.

Thanks again all.

Back