Replacing Keg O-rings With Silicone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randomiser

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am putting together this guide for those of you who wish to replace your keg o-rings with silicone ones. You can buy them in packs of 50 from ebay. Some I this info is from other forums and some I've found out myself.

This is the size chart from the vendor I have used

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Oringsandmore/OR...SIZE-CHART.html

I will list the application and size number

Post #111
Dip Tube #109
Lid #417

There are two gaskets in each quick disconnect that can be replaced
Quick Disconnect small #007
Quick disconnect large #013

Generic pressure relief valve like #104
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Relief-Valve-Ball-...=item1e70c0c824

Generic poppet valve like this #105
http://www.mybeershop.com.au/index.php?mai...products_id=150

Cheers

Why have you given a link for a relief valve in the States that comes up with $37 shipping on a single item?

I think they are just to show what it looks like??? as he says #104

oh and I am pretty sure its just the oring but thats kinda self explanatory :p

Hi guys,
Kelbygreen is right. They are just to show what type of pressure relief valve I have that has an o-ring. Here are some pics for clarification

Diptube
044.jpg

Generic Poppet
046.jpg

Pressure Relief Valve
047.jpg

Lid
048.jpg

Disassembled Quick Disconnect showing the two silicone orings
049.jpg

randomiser,

thanks for the links I think they're an awesome find. I've bought keg seal o rings from 3 or 4 different places and had 3 or 4 types of rubber supplied.

does the silicon feel like all of the baking tray stuff around these days? do you find they seal any better/worse/different than rubber? I'm assuming you don't get any crumbling coloured mess off of them?

Did the seller combine postage for you?

cheers

Hi,
Yes they did combine postage. I lost a keg keg of stout due to a leaky damaged oring. Also the original poppets would sometimes leak when they weren't seated properly. Those are the reasons I decided to replace all the orings, poppets and PRVs on the kegs. Silicone is inert, food safe, harder wearing than the original rubber. I have read it gives a better seal. It feels the same as the silicone I have bought from craftbrewer. So far I have had no leak but I have only been using the kegs for a couple of weeks.

Regards

Thanks for the info randomiser, will be ordering some of each type.

resurrecting a dead post because its that useful! :)

Used size 314 (thick - about 5mm diameter) for around a 10mm threaded SS rod (center shaft for brau clone) - a little slack, but works great with a 3/8" x1" (ID, OD) washer.
Used size 210 (211 might be slightly less snug but 210 is good) to replace the black o-rings around the fermenter tap. Best. Decision. Ever. So many less issues with leakage and oddly facing taps. Also use this size for around 1/2" threaded pipe fittings - but I think the 314 (thicker diameter oring) would be better.

FYI - for those with stainless disconnects (KegKing) like the pix below, do not try to change the poppet o-ring in the disconnect with a silicon one. The design of the poppet seal seems to be integral to proper functioning of the disconnect.

I put round silicon o-rings in and the disconnect pin goes askew - allowing the o-ring in the keg post poppet to be pushed out of the keg post.

Stainless Disconnects.jpg

MaltyHops said:
FYI - for those with stainless disconnects (KegKing) like the pix below, do not try to change the poppet o-ring in the disconnect with a silicon one. The design of the poppet seal seems to be integral to proper functioning of the disconnect.

I put round silicon o-rings in and the disconnect pin goes askew - allowing the o-ring in the keg post poppet to be pushed out of the keg post.
did the ball bearings rust too? cheap shit, is just cheap sh!t

this is awesome, will definitely be ordering some of these o rings.

QldKev, so the KegKing stainless disconnects use non stainless bearings? Typical, they go 95% of the way to making a decent product then cheap out screwing everything up.

pat_00 said:

QldKev, so the KegKing stainless disconnects use non stainless bearings? Typical, they go 95% of the way to making a decent product then cheap out screwing everything up.
Just like everything
Their gas manifolds are pretty good, built in check valves
Then they go and use brass ball valves that are about as sturdy as chalk
I used multigrips to remove one (was in the middle, couldn't get a good swing with a spanner) to add some thread tape to fix a leak, it marked up the surface like crazy

I originally looked at replacing my current cheap crappy keg disconnects with the SS KK ones, until I did a little more reading on them.

Ended up going with genuine Cornelius instead and am very happy with that decision.

QldKev said:
did the ball bearings rust too? cheap shit, is just cheap sh!t
This is so true. But, I blame the retailers or wholesales based here in Aus. It is easy to buy from China and CHEAP, but, if you do not specify what level of quality you want in a product, they will give you the cheapest stuff they can.

I am sure if KK wrote to their supplier and said look, we have complaints over this or that, we want to re-spec everything 100% SS (304, 306 whatever) and the manufacturers would be happy to comply, might cost $1 extra per unit, which the vast majority of us would be more than happy to pay...... to get the quality, fit and finish we want!

Just not sure what happens between underpants -> collect underpants -> ? -> RICH

pat_00 said:

There was a discussion in a bulk buy thread about it, some were machined to a slightly different size with on any sideways movement resulting in a leak, and others mentioned the ball bearings rusting.

pat_00 said:

Yes, the bearings from my KK stainless disconnects did rust - I did read about the issue when buying them and they were part of the early batch of these that had rusting problems. In any case, I got replacement ones sent to me without question, hopefully they'll be ok as they're from supposedly problem-fixed version - at least they wont blow up! :ph34r: ...................... :lol:

I was keen on them as they angle the gas/beer lines horizontally rather than at an upwards angle like the JG's - for a tight portable setup I have.

Might give these a crack, lid seal size not listed at the moment....

Haas anyone had the thinner black lid seals? I got some from Connor breware I suspect are a bit thin as once I pressurise the kegs with those seals the lid latch lever is loose? Anyone seen this? I'll pull one off and use my vernier caliper to measure against an old seal the next time I remember at home!

fraser_john said:
Just not sure what happens between underpants -> collect underpants -> ? -> RICH
i believe thats a suitable market in japan

Back