Replacement sensor for stc 1000

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

431neb

Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the right direction on ebay (or similar) for a replacement sensor for an STC 1000?

I have a new controller and I've lost the damn lead / probe.

There seem to be so many different ones available online but none look like the ones that are usually supplied.

Thanks in advance.

Pm you address I have a spare one you can have

Looks like you've scored one, so all good.

For anyone reading this later and is chasing one, on ebay search for a thermistor "NTC 10K ohm". Most will be just the thermistor without a cord, but some will be a complete cord. It may have a slightly different end on it, but as long as its NTC and 10K ohm, with a beta value of 3435 all is good.

If your not after the stock standard probe, you can buy them from keg king. These also fit thermowells.

QldKev said:
Looks like you've scored one, so all good.

For anyone reading this later and is chasing one, on ebay search for a thermistor "NTC 10K ohm". Most will be just the thermistor without a cord, but some will be a complete cord. It may have a slightly different end on it, but as long as its NTC and 10K ohm all is good.
Yup, the STC-1000 does indeed use a NTC (negative temperature coefficient, i.e. higher temp = lower resistance) 10k ohm (at 25 C) thermistor. However, thermistors work by being a temperature dependent resistor. The controller then uses that variable resistor with a reference resistor in a voltage divider circuit to work out the temperature. The problem is that not all NTC 10k thermistors have the same temperature dependence. i.e. at different temperatures they have different resistances (or in technobabble, they have different Steinhart-Hart coefficients (or beta parameters)).

Anyhoos, long story short, for those reading this in the future who want to buy a new probe online, you need one with a beta value of 3435 or the STC-1000 will tell you the wrong temperature. And no, you can't just change the offset because the difference is non-linear.

EDIT: I read in a thread on some other homebrewing forum :ph34r: that the STC-1000 uses a NTC 10k with a beta value of 1470. This turned out to not be correct.

Thanks all. Yes verysupple, I had to read your post three times but it seems that 10 k thermistors are listed on ebay with a beta of 3435 which is what I bought. Thanks for your informative post. When it arrived I will test and (hopefully remember to) add a confirmation of it's success or failure so that that this thread can be 100% in it's confirmation of the above.

verysupple said:
Anyhoos, long story short, for those reading this in the future who want to buy a new probe online, you need one with a beta value of 3435 or the STC-1000 will tell you the wrong temperature. And no, you can't just change the offset because the difference is non-linear.

EDIT: I read in a thread on some other homebrewing forum :ph34r: that the STC-1000 uses a NTC 10k with a beta value of 1470. This turned out to not be correct.
Just did a mad dash over to eBay to check my purchase.

Lucky I got the right one.

Great info, cheers!!

Latest posts

Back