Replacement for Amarillo in 150 Lashes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
JS 150 is my pub and club
beer around here and I'm brewing a double batch knockoff today. I note from another thread that the hops are Willamette, NS and Amarillo. Don't have the Amarillo but have:

Mt Hood
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook

Suggestions? Also wondering about IBUs - I'd guess low 20s?

Antony at Craft brewer knocked up a rough 150 clone recipe for me a couple of months back.
IBU at 23 used Nelson and Mosaic.
Sorry but I have no expertise to suggest a replacement with what you have on hand.

Chunkious said:
Tried this on tap for the Last 1st time .
Pete, leaning towards the Centennial.

I note that Chunkious is an IPA man so 100 ls wouldn't tick his boxes. Just as I find IPA a bit chewy after a couple of pints. Ah the freedom of AG brewing.

edit. Thanks Yob as well

Settled

Always centennial :) More bang for your buck in IBUs than cascade. Neither is an exact replacement. Both will make a great beer.

The freedom indeed!

Bribie G said:
Pete, leaning towards the Centennial.

I note that Chunkious is an IPA man so 100 ls wouldn't tick his boxes. Just as I find IPA a bit chewy after a couple of pints. Ah the freedom of AG brewing.

edit. Thanks Yob as well

Settled
IPA's is what I'm experimenting with at the moment.
I don't know Bribie, I just found it not balanced or flavorsome enough. I think Fat Yak is a better example.
I'd go with Centennial mate. I just kegged a Centennial IPA, awesome hop for flavour/aroma. I think I smell NS in the original.
All the best with you recipe!

If the amarillo is for bittering I go with centennial, for late hopping I go with cascade as a substitute...

(2 cents worth...)

Came up with a decent article on the stuff when it was first introduced.

Decided to beef it up a wee bit in the hops department, I note that those 3 USA hops were for late additions, the bittering hop is good old POR.

Lashes Pale ale
American Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.400
Total Hops (g): 35.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (°P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.52 %
Colour (SRM): 3.8 (EBC): 7.5
Bitterness (IBU): 26.9 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.500 kg Pale Ale Malteurop (79.55%)
0.500 kg Wheat Malt (11.36%)
0.400 kg Munich I (9.09%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Pride of Ringwood Pellet (8.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
5.0 g Willamette Pellet (7.1% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 g/L)
5.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 g/L)
5.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (11.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 g/L)
15.0 g Centennial Pellet dry hop in fermenter after 3 days.

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Some chinook would not be out of place as an addition as well.

As I'm doing a double batch I might keg-hop one with extra NS and the other with Chinook. Never used NS before so I'm interested in what it can do.

Was just looking at that Biocloud they use to make the 150 lashes cloudy. Why would you do that, as I find the yeast adds flavour and that's why I like it. Their product just makes the beer appear cloudy without any real impact on flavour. Seems pretty pointless.

Maybe they are trying to copy the appearance of the Coopers brews. I note that Murrays Whale Ale is also slightly cloudy which would be from the wheats in it.

Bribie G said:
Came up with a decent article on the stuff when it was first introduced.

Decided to beef it up a wee bit in the hops department, I note that those 3 USA hops were for late additions, the bittering hop is good old POR.

Lashes Pale ale
American Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.400
Total Hops (g): 35.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (°P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.52 %
Colour (SRM): 3.8 (EBC): 7.5
Bitterness (IBU): 26.9 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.500 kg Pale Ale Malteurop (79.55%)
0.500 kg Wheat Malt (11.36%)
0.400 kg Munich I (9.09%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Pride of Ringwood Pellet (8.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
5.0 g Willamette Pellet (7.1% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 g/L)
5.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 g/L)
5.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (11.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 g/L)
15.0 g Centennial Pellet dry hop in fermenter after 3 days.

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
This in an interesting yeast choice. Have you made this already and can you comment on how it turned out??

Good find with the article Bribie. I spent hours searching for inspiration for an extract 150 lashes recipe a few months back - didn't come across that one.

Will have to brew your recipe now I've moved to BIAB. Looking forward to hearing how it turns out for you.

Brewed a couple of days ago, I'll be pitching in the morning when my batch of US-05 has fired up.

Stuffed up a bit because when I went to find my Nelson Sauvin it had vanished out of the hop fridge - how could that happen? Only came from Craftbrewer that week.

So I subbed a wee bit of NZ Cascade to keep in the Kiwi tradition.

Then I found the fecking NS - I had bought flowers and had been vainly looking in the pellets bin :D - Senior moment

Anyway it's turned out bloody amazing, only did the single batch as it happens - silly me - could swear it's almost the pub version. Mild and malty, great quaffer and just the thing to cheer up a grey chilly Mid North Coast afternoon at the moment.

Lashes.jpg

On tasting, it's answered my own question on another thread about making an AUS PA more malty - I used some Munich in this. :)
Also after posting the previous post I realised I had a Schott of American Ale 2 in the fridge so used that instead, as per recipe.

Back