Repair A Regulator?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freezkat

Reaction score
I just refilled my CO2 tank. Brought it home and connected it. The remainder of beer in the middle tap dispensed fine. I just filled another keg and connected to that same regulator. The secondary gauge read "0" pressure. I tapped on the gauge and it bounced (quickly like a spring)but went back to zero. I pulled the gas line off the keg and pressed the valve and no gas came out. I pulled on the relief valve on the regulator and no gas came out of there either. It just seems stuck. There are 4 screws on this regulator. Does this mean it is serviceable?

CO2regulator.JPG

I just refilled my CO2 tank. Brought it home and connected it. The remainder of beer in the middle tap dispensed fine. I just filled another keg and connected to that same regulator. The secondary gauge read "0" pressure. I tapped on the gauge and it bounced (quickly like a spring)but went back to zero. I pulled the gas line off the keg and pressed the valve and no gas came out. I pulled on the relief valve on the regulator and no gas came out of there either. It just seems stuck. There are 4 screws on this regulator. Does this mean it is serviceable?
I opened it up and there is a diaphragm and a disc under that with a needle jet in the center. When I press that down with my thumb some gas comes out of the regulator and the secondary gauge jumps a little. It seems like that needle is too short to do the job. Do those wear out? I reassembled everything a cranked the screw all the way in but still no gas came through.

I would rather fix it than buy a new regulator for $40 and run the risk of getting something with a goofy left hand thread.

I opened it up and there is a diaphragm and a disc under that with a needle jet in the center. When I press that down with my thumb some gas comes out of the regulator and the secondary gauge jumps a little. It seems like that needle is too short to do the job. Do those wear out? I reassembled everything a cranked the screw all the way in but still no gas came through.

I would rather fix it than buy a new regulator for $40 and run the risk of getting something with a goofy left hand thread.

I found these

image_2804.jpg
image_2805.jpg
image_2805.jpg

At another place the sell springs for the cornelius regulators too.

Is this all that goes wrong?

I found these

image_2804.jpg
image_2805.jpg
image_2805.jpg

At another place the sell springs for the cornelius regulators too.

Is this all that goes wrong?
this must be one of those issues that are so basic that the more experienced members deem not worthy to respond to.

I'm very new to kegging. So this is new to me. On another note, if you remember I just refilled my 20LB cylinder sized tank. This added pressure seems to have found all the faults in my system. Besides the Cornelius regulator failing, my Micromatic (new in 2002) started leaking through it's diaphragm. I have a triple regulator setup. I really liked the flexibility to run root beer, beer and be able to force carb all at the same time. Spendy when 2/3rds of those parts go to crap and I have an empty gas tank too.

Grrrrrrrrr!

It does appear there are repair parts available

840-15.jpg

this must be one of those issues that are so basic that the more experienced members deem not worthy to respond to.

I'm very new to kegging. So this is new to me. On another note, if you remember I just refilled my 20LB cylinder sized tank. This added pressure seems to have found all the faults in my system. Besides the Cornelius regulator failing, my Micromatic (new in 2002) started leaking through it's diaphragm. I have a triple regulator setup. I really liked the flexibility to run root beer, beer and be able to force carb all at the same time. Spendy when 2/3rds of those parts go to crap and I have an empty gas tank too.

Grrrrrrrrr!

It does appear there are repair parts available

840-15.jpg

And for my mates here who thought this info was readily available on this site, I give you a thread from 2008 that was the first thread here that answered both of my search keywords "regulator and repair". That was at the top of the 6th page of results. And it had to do with Harris regulators. Not Cornelius, Tap-Rite or Micromatic. So it was useless to me. If you think rummaging through the Kegging-Setups thread is a good resource for quick answers...you must also think you only need a first name when looking somebody up in the phone-book is the way to go.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...epair+regulator

Hey mate not sure if this will be of any help or relates to what is wrong with your reg, but i serviced my micro matic regulator no worries after getting beer through it. Pulled the old one apart lots of rust and other gunk in there and was as stiff as buggery. Put the service kit through it and it now works fine.

I would of thought the spring would in the same pack with the diaphrams flanges pin etc.

So if your question was can they be serviced yes, not to hard just follow instruction and put back togeather same as you pulled it apart.

kegsonline.com have micromatic repair kits that include the spring. Not sure if they ship to The US though.

kegsonline.com have micromatic repair kits that include the spring. Not sure if they ship to The US though.
This will help everybody that uses cornelius regs

CORNELIUS0001.JPG

and just in case the link goes bad. I'll upload that too. It appears my "seat gasket" has disintegrated. Cool...sounds cheap

Thank You Mates for the extra info.

Cheers

Bob

CORNELIUS0001.JPG

This will help everybody that uses cornelius regs

CORNELIUS0001.JPG

and just in case the link goes bad. I'll upload that too. It appears my "seat gasket" has disintegrated. Cool...sounds cheap

Thank You Mates for the extra info.

Cheers

Bob

I've sent you a PM

It could also be that Cornelius and Tap Rite regulators are as rare as rocking horse poo around here.
Lots of CIG, Tesuco, Harris and a fair sampling of Micromatic, but you werent asking about them.
Mark

I have a cornelius dual reg, haven't yet found a sealing ring for the cylinder to reg interface...

Throw a lifesaver washer in there, will get you out of trouble.
Thats the urethane washers that go under the post on old Australian made syrup kegs, very handy to keep in the spare parts jar.
M

Back