Renovation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
Wondering if people may be able to give me some of their thoughts re. the space and facilities they use to brew at home. The reason I ask is that I am soon to begin major renovations and while I can't incorporate a dedicated brewery I would like to design my laundry, shed and outdoor facilities to best help with brewing.

I'm only partial mashing on the stove at the moment but hope to go all grain with all the relevant gear at some stage. The last thing I want though is to finish the reno and then think geez I wish I'd done this or that.

Cheers
Fish

where abouts are you Fish

Here is a link to a mates web page with pics of his setup for AG.

might give you an idea as to how much room you need...
http://zymo.homemail.com.au/index.htm

Thanks for the link GMK however it now appears I need to be an engineer, electrician and plumber to go all-grain!

Only joking. Like anything it is obviously as simple or involved as you want to make it. I like the look of Pete's brewing table though.

I might try and dedicate an area outside for my brewing and locate water and electricity to it. What about mains gas?

Fish

I stayed away from gas...

I have 3 kids - so i went for electricity....i feel that it is safer
urn for hlt
rubbermaid for mash tun
electric copper washer for the kettle
have a fountain pump for the Rims system when i get there.
i use nylex snap lock 12mm hose fittings so that it comes apart easily.

G'day Fish,
If you go from partial to AG some things will change with your procedures and you will need to decide which way YOU want to go.
A sink and a tap is a must as is power and some bench space and town gas if available is a lot cheaper than LPG or electricity.
Storage shelves and a cupboard is good and room for fridges or a temp controlled fermentation box is a must.
You need to be able to work in an area that doesnt really matter if you spill something or make a mess and that area needs to be able to be cleaned up easily.
My experience with brewing over the years is the quicker you get out of the kitchen and the laundry the more you will enjoy your hobby and the less domestic friction will exist in your home and this is more important as you move to AG.
I hope this helps and i can post some pics if you want.
Cheers

I'll like to see the updated brewery BBB ,
Post some pics please

G'day Batz,
Top pics of the world tour. I can help with a few names for the"?" if you want.
Anyway here is a few pics.

P1010043.JPG

Sorry guys,
I'll post them later tonite when connection is a bit quicker. I have got to go out for a while now so i catch you later.
Cheers

Looking good BBB , you did'nt let the pic fully upload by the look of it , yes some help with names please

And a shot showing the hybrid CF wort Chiller that by the way works like a beauty!!!!

P1010045.JPG

Fish,
I didnt want to hi-jack your post or your topic but a set-up like mine takes up 1.80 mtrs long by about .750 mtrs wide so it is not a big space for a very easy to operate AG set up. Because I use a MARCH PUMP to do all the work you could actually make it a lot smaller by going two tier only and make the pump do ALL the work.
You need to know that this set up is only part of what you need and my first post still is a good guide as to what is needed as a total package.
Cheers,

Thanks BBB,
This is a big help and great pics - I'm jealous. I think I will work toward housing my brewery in a new shed or look at fixing a tiered system to a brick wall down the 'dead' side of the house. Either way I will make sure I have easy access to gas, water and electricity.

Thanks again
Fish

Back