Removing "u" System Keg Spears

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mischa6262

Reaction score
GDay Guys,
Finally i have had success
I will describe in detail how to remove these U system keg spears for all to appreciate in future: :beer:

First task is in removing the internal nut that the coupler locks into,
This is a right hand thread same as the coupling so a bit tricky, you need to have something like a piece of plate ( i had a scrap piece of alluminium about 40mm wide by 10mm thick) that will sit down into the coupling locator.

This then needs a hole drilled in it near the bottom so you can place a pin through this into the slot underneath the the coupling locking thread.

This then enables you to unscrew the nut as the plate will lock up on the pin and the taper of the coupling thread and unscrew.

Next to remove the spear there is a dimple in the side of the spear, rotate this around and it lines up with a notch in the side of the mouth of the keg a voila it just slips out.

Dismantling the spear is then a matter of just giving it a twist in your hand and it all falls apart for easy cleaning. :super:
I will try post some pictures of this procedure and once i have designed a better tool for removal will keep you all up to date. And if anyone wants a copy of the design just let me knonw and i can post you a copy once its finialised
:party:
Cheers
Shane

Latest posts

Back