Removing The Gum From The Head

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dilbertnz

Reaction score
Greetings, I'm about to start brewing again after a very long absence. When I last did a kit brew I followed the advice from an English Home Brew Book that said to remove the gum-like substance from the yeast head on the 3rd and 6th days so you just leave a clean white froth. This got rid of the tasted of "kit twang" that was a feature of the kits in the early days. Is this still necessary or is it not a problem with today's kits. Many thanks, John

Nope. Only reason for this I see is 'top skimming' for a good batch of yeast to store/reuse - being an ale yeast if I recall correctly. Lager is bottom fermenting. I'd wager half the problem with brewing 'in the early days' was poor hygiene, poor ingredients and poor brewing in general. Now days we are so much more informed and spoiled for choice with fresh ingredients, hops etc.

BTW if the air lock does not bubble, relax :)

Nope. Only reason for this I see is 'top skimming' for a good batch of yeast to store/reuse - being an ale yeast if I recall correctly. Lager is bottom fermenting. I'd wager half the problem with brewing 'in the early days' was poor hygiene, poor ingredients and poor brewing in general. Now days we are so much more informed and spoiled for choice with fresh ingredients, hops etc.

BTW if the air lock does not bubble, relax :)

:D Awesome. Thanks heaps for your help.

Latest posts

Back