Removing Sodium Metasilicate Residue?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Bastard

Brew Cvlt Doom
Reaction score
In my quest for tightarsedness, I have discovered a supply of 25l cubes at work which normally get chucked. I could probably get enough to use a new one for each brew and throw it away afterwards, which means I'd never have to worry about knocking another tap out when cleaning ever again.

Only problem is that they've had a water based sodium metasilicate cleaner in them. Given that Sodium Metasilicate is one of the ingredients in PBW, I'm assuming that it would be ok to flush the majority of the residue out with water, clean as per a normal cube with boiling water, napisan (might omit this one) shaking, laying on sides, rinsing etc, then hit with starsan and use? The product is used as a hard surface cleaner for pharmaceutical manufacturing, and normally gets rinsed off with hot, but not boiling RO water before use. This is on parts in direct contact with product for human consumption.

Tell me I'm not a complete idiot for contemplating this. Or not...

Cheers,

FB

hit it with boiling water first and then rinse and then a few hundred ml's of Starsan, drain and then should be good to go...

free cubes? shit.. there would be no end to the stacks I'd accumulate :lol:

Excellent! Looks like I have free cubes then!

Looking at the MSDS, cleaning with an acidic solution makes perfect sense.

Thanks folks!

Back