Removing Moulded Door Shelves

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiro

Reaction score
Well I finally got a replacement fridge for fermenting. Ended up buying this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=true&rt=nc Finally got it home today from Brisbane.

To get my 30L fermenter in with a bit of headroom I need to get rid of the shelves in the door (the 2 top ones really). I'd like it to look like this finished if possible http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/fridge-doo...removed-303583/ After looking at this link mine has no screws to remove to take of the shelves, it seems moulded with the door seal behind it. Can the moulded door panel with the shelves on it be taken off this type of set up? I really want to try keep it neat as it's a new fridge.

Other option would be to cut the 2 top shelves out with the dremel but don't really want to go down this path if it can be helped.

You can just cut the moulding out and replace it with a flat sheet of masonite. fraser_john has his kegerator set up like that..... here

No need to cut anything, you can just take the front bit out by pulling it to one side and pressing against the side bit at the same time, then lift off.

EDIT: By 'front bit' I mean the three parts that you can see in the second ebay picture in the door. The bits that prevent your milk bottles from falling out. Just give it a good pull to the side and you can unhook it without any damage. You can always put them back in if need be, have done it plenty of times on some of my fridges.

No need to cut anything, you can just take the front bit out by pulling it to one side and pressing against the side bit at the same time, then lift off.

EDIT: By 'front bit' I mean the three parts that you can see in the second ebay picture in the door. The bits that prevent your milk bottles from falling out. Just give it a good pull to the side and you can unhook it without any damage. You can always put them back in if need be, have done it plenty of times on some of my fridges.

Yeah I've pulled the 3 parts off your talking about but that doesn't solve the problem. The base of the shelves which are moulded (what your milk would sit on) is what is protruding into the fridge space.

There should be screws behind the seal...

When i did a similar thing i just cut the actual shelves out and filled the gaps with liquid nails.. I figured that when it went to a new home it would probably be to a brewer who also wouldnt care..

And this was certainly the case..

In that case go with Fraser_john's idea I reckon.

In my situation it was always enough to pull the front bits off, shame you have to pull that brand new door apart.

Before cutting anything you should look behind the rubber seal as some of these are bolted on, if so undo all the bolts/screws the molded panel should come away then use as a template for it's replacement. I do note alot of the newer fridges have the door seal and molding glued though. My both my fridges have screwed on panels. good luck

Mike

There should be screws behind the seal...

When i did a similar thing i just cut the actual shelves out and filled the gaps with liquid nails.. I figured that when it went to a new home it would probably be to a brewer who also wouldnt care..

And this was certainly the case..

No screws under the rubber seal. All of the ones on youtube have.

My fridge had moulded shelves and was glued onto the insulation behind it.

I couldn't find an easy way to get rid of it, so got around removing the fridge door liner, peeled all the plastic shelving off, then going at the insulation with a saw to flatten it out, then glued a thin sheet of (single-painted-side) MDF (or similar?) which was cut to size as I heard it helps prevent condensation build up in the MDF with the painted layer facing the inside of the fridge.

Sponge

Corflute (real estate agents / politicians signs) makes a good insulator and liner.
Plenty of retired Labor party ex pollies up this way who don't want their election signs back :lol:

Back