Removing M style coupler from keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milk-lizard84

Reaction score
couplers.jpgHowdy,
Just got a quick question in regards to removing fittings from a keg. i scored a ex coopers keg for $50 bucks which i want to turn into a keggle.
Just wondering how do you remove the fittings?
If any one has any advice or a link that would be great.

My Keg has the M coupler
Cheers in Advance

I am not 100% on a M fitting, sure its that ?
Most here are Type A, could be wrong though.
Take a good shot of the top of the spear and I should be able to tell you how to remove.
Nev

Yeah, that's an A coupler, not an M
you need to push the rubber o ring in with a screw driver or pliers to release pressure first
Now push the rubber ring down with pliers, then grab the centre metal section with your pliers, lift it up and turn clockwise
this should now drop down inside the keg
you can then unscrew the main part of the coupler, I used a pipe wrench for this

Thanks heaps for the advice sp0rk. Your instructions worked a treat. Also thanks for the link for a jig. Don't actually have a grinder yet so ill base my jig on the grinder I get I suppose.
I want to so a good job I the cutting because I've seen some pics from google and there were some really horrible jobs.
Thanks again

sp0rk said:
There is a long metal tap on the coupler once you get it out
File this down, reassemble the coupler and you only need to screw it in and out to use it from then on
I also advise on filling the keg half full with water before cutting
Here's my jig for cutting the hole
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/57659-post-your-ghetto-gear-thread-the-200-hopper/page-9#entry951692

But to be honest, next time I'd just do it by hand
On yah sp0rk, only got back to this.
I actually made a jig the engages the 6mm hole on the coupler, i just use a spanner to undo and replace. Most of my beers go into 50L kegs, many thirst customers.
Nev

All good
Like Nev said, a jig for screwing the spear in and out would be good if you're planning on reusing a keg as the pipe wrench marked the coupler up a bit
luckily one of mine was used as a keggle and the other a boiler for making fire water

Well I think I kinda stuffed the coupling anyways when removing so there is no other option other than its use as a keggle. Plus I'm not sure if I really wanna keg that much of my home brew. I struggle to get through what I make as it is haha.
On a side note before I purchase a burner (if I do the keg king sells a sweet one with a stand) just wondering are the electric elements any good for a keggle or is gas the best bet?

Latest posts

Back