Removing hop sock before whirlpool and chilling?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarniwoop

Reaction score
I never really thought about this before I saw it mentioned on another thread but should I be removing my hop socks (with hops in obviously) from the wort at the end of the boil before I whirlpool?

I plate chill hence the use of hop socks but the 15 minute (ish) whirlpool adds a lot of time onto the various hop additions especially the late ones.

Cheers

Zarniwoop

I throw hops in loose now but I used to always pull the first addition hops and just leave late hops / flame out sock in.
In all honesty once I got immersion chiller running properly (better pump / iced water) I couldn't tell the difference.
Prob only talking about very small IBUs

Edit: I think I misunderstood, you're talking about late hops in the whirlpool after chill?

OP --- It all depends on how you want to add flavour & aroma to your wort.

Not sure if you use BeerSmith or not but BeerSmith gives you the option of leaving the "0" addition hops (in the hop sock or otherwise) to steep for "x" minutes (Whirlpool Hop Addition) in order to obtain maximum flavour & aroma but in saying this it also adds the extra IBU that occurs when doing so before temps drop sufficiently to cancel out any added bitterness.

One way to avoid the extra IBU is to leave the BeerSmith whirlpool addition Time Box at "0", drop the temp to 80 deg c or so, add hops (hop sock or loose), stop whirlpool & sit for 15/20 minutes before starting pump again & draining through your plate chiller to fermenter. BeerSmith will then record your Whirlpool hop additions with no added IBU.
The extra time involved is well worth it IMHO if you can make head or tail of my explanation? :p .
Hope this helps?

I have just started taking the hops out at flame out and putting them back in when the temp falls below 80. This is to stop unwanted alpha acid isomerisation.

Latest posts

Back