Removing chrome from a beer tap.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spog

The Odd Drop Brewery
Reaction score
G,day all, I ha e 3 x E K taps that are chrome plated .
I'm keen on the Intertap taps but I remembered I have 3 E K taps in my cupboard of junk ( fark did I find some Noice brass bits and pieces in there ).
So, these taps are old but hoping to save some pennies, can anyone offer up any suggestions of how to remove the chrome easily,now this is bloody hard shit I've had a go with an electric sander but it'll take ages to get a result.
I have a feeling that harsh chemicals could be the only answer but I don't want to mess with them.
Also any ideas on how to mount them in a home made font,they are mounted by a screw on attachment ,so any ideas of a mounting to suit ( brass).
I'm aiming for a copper and brass look for the planed keezer build.
Thanks in advance.

P.S. this post may come across as a ramble but for good reason, I'm half cut..... Hic,burp.

some sites suggest bleach or brakefluid will take off the chrome

do some google searches and look at car restoration sites (they like to strip off chrome)

Maheel said:
some sites suggest bleach or brakefluid will take off the chrome

do some google searches and look at car restoration sites (they like to strip off chrome)
Brilliant ! Thanks.

Caustic or strong acid I think.*
I will ask a friend who works at a shop custom spraying vintage cars.

*check this thoroughly before considering an attempt. Nasty stuff, might hurt your base metal, not to mention skin, eyes, balls....

Your best bet would be to take the taps to an electroplating shop and get them to drop them in their hydrochloric acid strip tank. A day or so soaking and the chrome is gone.

You could do this yourself, but if you are not experienced in handling hydrochloric acid leave it to someone who is. You need to dilute the raw acid with water, but Its not the sort of stuff you want to play around with. Eg. if you add water to the acid it will erupt into your face - you must add acid to the water slowly while stirring vigorously . Must wear safety gear. And if you splash any on concrete it will eat holes in it, as well as burn pets and toddlers feet. So leave it to the pros.

EDIT: If you do use a plating shop to remove the chrome, they could also polish them (to remove the scratches you've made trying to physically remove the chrome, as per your OP) and then replate them with a flash of gold. It would be only a few microns thick so its not as expensive as it sounds. That way you get the brass look you are after without the need to keep polishing brass to keep it looking bright.

You can also reverse electro-plate the chrome off, but it requires the use of nasty chemicals.

Vhrome plating shop would be the best method

Try sugarsoap, has worked for me on chrome plated stuff before. Plus it's cheap so no harm in trying.

Cheers for the replies.
Feldon,I had some Hydrochloric acid in my shed so I used it in a 1 part acid to 3 parts water mix and it softened the chrome plating, I then rinsed it well then dried it grabbed a beer and started rubbing back with a flexible sanding block.....looking good so far.
If it comes up to my expectations I will then work out how to mount it in a font.
Where there's a will there's a way.

Update with questions.
The chrome removal is looking good.
image.jpg
But I've found a problem, at the back of the tap is a plastic block that the beer line screws into.
image.jpg.
In the pic you see the block and the screw in line connection.
My question is can this mounting block be removed and what is behind it ?
Would I be able to remove the mounting block and then fit it to a different font ( home made) ?
I have turned the Internet upside down trying to find info but no luck including the Andale site.
Here is a pic of the one I have in my beer fridge.
image.jpg.
I'm hoping the 3 other taps I have, have the mounting hidden behind the plastic block so they could be used for my font.

Help.......

Sorry my car mate was useless. Basic outcome was take it to a pro whereas it looks to me as if home job is going ok.

Hey Spog, I'm pretty sure I have some of those taps in brass out in my garage. I got them for nix so you can have them for postage. PM me if you're interested and I'll have a go at digging them out.

manticle said:
Sorry my car mate was useless. Basic outcome was take it to a pro whereas it looks to me as if home job is going ok.
Umm......

Latest posts

Back