Removing Carboy From Water Bath

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luek

Reaction score
This brew marks the second brew I've had to use a water bath for temperature control...
The first one was only 15L of cider which I could lift out with little sloshing around...
But now I have 23L of cerveza with lemon and lime I'll need to put into another carboy to add dissolved salt (no flames, its for my missus!) In a plastic tub and it was a pain to get into position (bench is around belly height)

So my question is... how long do I have to let my brew settle before everything is nice and settled?

BTW I don't have a decent siphon... bought one but it's useless, haven't seen any better... I was planning to sanitise a rubber tube, fix to tap, and run it into secondary (tube shouldn't airate any more than siphoning)

This brew marks the second brew I've had to use a water bath for temperature control...
The first one was only 15L of cider which I could lift out with little sloshing around...
But now I have 23L of cerveza with lemon and lime I'll need to put into another carboy to add dissolved salt (no flames, its for my missus!) In a plastic tub and it was a pain to get into position (bench is around belly height)

So my question is... how long do I have to let my brew settle before everything is nice and settled?

BTW I don't have a decent siphon... bought one but it's useless, haven't seen any better... I was planning to sanitise a rubber tube, fix to tap, and run it into secondary (tube shouldn't airate any more than siphoning)

If I understand this correctly: you have the carboy of 23L of flavourless mexican beer sitting in a plastic tub of water on a bench that is around belly height. You want to put some dissolved salts into a second carboy and rack the cerveza onto it? Both carboys have a tap.

When someone says carboy, I immediately think of what a lot of seppos use and they don't seem to have taps at all. If yours has a tap it might be a fermenter?

16j1p90.jpg
Carboy as per seppo issue.
35ldl02.jpg
Fermenter as per Aussie issue.

If the thing you are fermenting the Mexican goat piss in has a tap and looks like the second picture, you probably don't need to siphon out of it. Shoving a hose onto the tap and running it into the next container will be fine. Try to have the hose long so that it reaches the bottom of the second container, you want to reduce the amount of splashing or it can make your beer go bad (oxidise). Once a bit of beer is in it will cover the end of the hose.
I have no idea why you would want salt in the beer? Maybe salt the rim of the drinking glass?
I am not sure either why you want it in a second container. If you must have salt in the beer during fermentation why not dissolve it in some boiling water and add it to the Mexican goat piss, it would be more to style then, Mexican salty goat piss.

Nice and settled won't happen until the goat piss has finished fermenting and tastes like a Mexican.

Ha ha...

Why is it that all wives/girlfriends etc only like flavourless beers with no character?

I'm with Malted. If you have a tap on your fermenter, then the easiest way is racking it to secondary with a piece of tubing. Tube all the way to the bottom, open tap slowly so not to splash and oxidise, then open up fully once bottom of tube is under.

If you have the glass carboy style, maybe invest in a decent auto siphon. If not, it's probably better not to rack to avoid oxidisation resorting to more primative methods.

Ha ha...

Why is it that all wives/girlfriends etc only like flavourless beers with no character?

I'm with Malted. If you have a tap on your fermenter, then the easiest way is racking it to secondary with a piece of tubing. Tube all the way to the bottom, open tap slowly so not to splash and oxidise, then open up fully once bottom of tube is under.

If you have the glass carboy style, maybe invest in a decent auto siphon. If not, it's probably better not to rack to avoid oxidisation resorting to more primative methods.

Mine doesn't. She drinks my apas, farmhouse ales and saisons, likes rochefort 10 and is partial to a good stout or porter.

I think the issue with the OP is that it is sitting in a water bath and needs to be lifted out before the tap can be used.

Luek - try standing on a milk crate or something. Is there something portable with a flat surface of a similar height that it can be lifted onto? Maybe a coffee/picnic table (strong one)? Otherwise build up 2 milk crates as a surface while you stand on a third.

Hopefully visualising your predicament correctly.

um, until it's settled?

I may also have read your post wrong but it sounds like you may have already lifted the carboy/fermenter out of the water bath and up onto the bench, and in the process it sloshed around and now you are waiting for it to settle?

I cannot speak from experience but I would imagine it should only take a day or two for the yeast to fall back out of suspension. Perhaps others can clarify? (boom-tish!)

Sorry guys, used wrong word.
I meant fermenter.

"I think the issue with the OP is that it is sitting in a water bath and needs to be lifted out before the tap can be used."
This.

Not an expert on how yeast works yet, was just seeking info on how long a "finished" beer in fermenter will take to settle once stirred up from moving.

Wanted to rack so I could stir dissolved salt water thoroughly without stirring the cake.

Also thinking of just adding priming sugar directly into fermenter just before bottling
Another reason to stir without harassing my yeast cake.

If it's fermented out and settled, lifting it won't do much that letting it sit overnight before racking won't fix. Just be gentle. Even overnight is being possibly overly cautious.

I used to add priming solution straight to the fermenter and 8/10 times it worked great (beer racked previously so didn't want to rack again).

2 times out of 10 I got random flat bottles which was very annoying since the main point of bulk priming is consistency. I now don't rack previously unless I need to age the beer for a long time and I do rack to bulk prime. Works a treat 10/10 times.

Siphoning is your best friend.

Other than that, I use a plastic fermenter and for a water bath use a collapsible can cooler.

When racking into the keg, I'd just drain the can cooler and then collapse it to gain access to the tap.

If you used a collapsible water bath, that would significantly reduce how much you have to lift.

My cent and a quarter.

Why would you siphon when you have a tap?
Out of a carboy without a tap or stuck in a solid tub...

Sorry, if he said he's in a cooler/got a tap too. TLDR everything.

I do siphon wort into fermenter as it lets me sit it there and do its thing without me having to drill the cubes.

Even improved on my siphoning technique :p sanitise with starsan, hold thumb over one end and drop the other in the donor tank, release thumb from end into recipient when hand lower than bottom of donor tank.

Latest posts

Back