Removing "bits" From Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitai

Reaction score
Hey guys. When I put down my first brew the other day and strained the liquid from my steeped grain into the wort, I used a colinder instead of a finer strainer. As a result of have small bits of grain in the brew. Will this settle to the bottom after I rack and not end up in the final product when I bottle?

Any other day to get rid of it? The test jar has a fair bit of sediment in it at the moment.

Cheers

kaitai said:
Hey guys. When I put down my first brew the other day and strained the liquid from my steeped grain into the wort, I used a colinder instead of a finer strainer. As a result of have small bits of grain in the brew. Will this settle to the bottom after I rack and not end up in the final product when I bottle?

Any other day to get rid of it? The test jar has a fair bit of sediment in it at the moment.

Cheers
[post="50893"][/post]​

It'll probably settle out, but if you are worried, go spend $3 on a GMK Inline Filter (do a search)

I used a colander for my earlier partmashes kaitai. Some bits of grain did used to go through. They just seemed to ettle to the bottom.
Once you rack to secondary it should clear out fine.

cheers
johnno

Hi Kaitai

As kinky as this may sound. Next time you strain your grains in a collander try getting a pair of pantyhose, boiling them thoroughly to remove residual dye and putting it over the top of your collander as a liner.

Makes a good make-shift partial mash grain bag. Not bad for straining hops or wearing out on a Saturday night too. :huh:

Warren -

For this one the easiest course is to wait for it to settle out then rack.

I just bought an inline irrigation Filter that was talked about in a few older threads.. Haven't used it yet.. but it looks the good

Latest posts

Back