Removing Beerstone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I've got two kettles and have been alternating between them for a couple of years.
Both have now quite a buildup of beerstone (and one now also has scorched extract on the bottom too).
So what have you guys found as the easiest way of removing beerstone from your kettles/boilers ?

Beers,
Doc

a good soak in nappy san should do it Doc....if not some caustic

Too easy.
I just happen to have a big supply on hand :p
What dosage have you used ?
And do you just go with cold water, or fire up the burner underneath it ?

TIA,
Doc

I use CLR - very strong solution and boil it in there - let it soak overnight and then scrub with a Steelo....

Just repeat as many times as needed.

ortho phosoric acid works well neat or not dilued much

i use napisan & a plastic scourer - comes off easy...

Doc

I used a soak in napisan and a water pressure cleaner. Made 'em sparkle.

Cheers
Pedro

Doc said:
I've got two kettles and have been alternating between them for a couple of years.
Both have now quite a buildup of beerstone (and one now also has scorched extract on the bottom too).
So what have you guys found as the easiest way of removing beerstone from your kettles/boilers ?

Beers,
Doc
[post="58053"][/post]​

Cheap white vinegar. Fill the kettle with water. Add a goodly splash of vinegar (like about 2 l) and boil it up. Removes just about anything.

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

I ended up using Napisan as we have a ready supply of it.
Filled up the kettle and let it soak for an hour.
The beer stone came off very easy with a green scrubby. The scorched extract was a little more difficult and took considerably more elbow grease and use of the scrubby to remove, but it is all off now.

Next time I'll be trying CLR or vinegar though to make the job easier.

Beers,
Doc

Is the kettle stainless steel or aluminium?

dicko said:
Is the kettle stainless steel or aluminium?
[post="58824"][/post]​
Stainless Steel.

Beers,
Doc

Napisan works by displacement chemistry (I think that's right), so it doesn't need to be boiled and an overnight soak is probably more effective than an hour or two. I think the stuff is just marvellous and would be trying it for any cleaning problem first up. If it fails, only then would you turn to nasties like acids, caustic etc. IMHO. I cleaned up a dozen or so badly beer-stoned bottles with some napisan recently. Just an overnight soak and the stone just lifted right off without any physical scrubbing.

Steve

Doc, i use the 'Pink Powder' in my kettle.
Fill it with water to the brim and soak overnight thats all ,and man it looks like some-one has scrubbed it spotless new again.
But last time i mentioned p. powder on this forum i got slammed !!!!!!!
So keep this to yourself eh !
cheers

Hi Doc,

If you have the time, soak it overnite with nappy san then that is the way to go.

If you want it clean within 20 mins to 1/2 hour then add phosphoric acid at about 85% and some boiling water and leave it soaking for 20 mins and then just tip out and rinse off.
Clean as a whistle but be aware that you are using strong acid :eek:

Cheers

Doc, I know you've solved the problem, but I was flipping through How To Brew whilst on the pot the other day and landed in the section discussing cleaning. JJ recommends oven cleaner to remove burnt wort.

Do you just use the mixing rate on the the Napisan box to get the concentration or is there a better (brewers) rate?

I tend to get sucked into the thinking that if 1 teaspoon per litre is good - two is better - not exactly 'worlds best practice' I know.

Goat said:
I tend to get sucked into the thinking that if 1 teaspoon per litre is good - two is better - not exactly 'worlds best practice' I know.
[post="59032"][/post]​

I just use a capful in a fermenter. Seems to be about the right amount (and no, I don't know how many teaspoons full that is)

Cheers
Pedro

stumbled across this link re beerstone. Not that relevant for the craft brewer but interesting info:

http://www.birkocorp.com/brewing/beerstone.asp

Also - ALDI sells there own brand nappy san pretty cheap. I think from memory there is more active ingredieant in it / vol than the more expensive nappy san. Also noticed they were selling a cheap pressure cooker last weekend if anyones in the market for one.

This weekend I will be stripping down my gear for a good clean and running caustic through it, what concentration of caustic soda do you use to remove beerstones? How much contact time does it need and will heating make it more efficient? Do I need to be careful with plastic (mash tun) or the brass and copper fittings?

Cheers

Jye,

Plastic will be fine, the copper will certainly corrode if left to long. Heat will make it work a whole lot better but will also cause more damage if you get it on your skin. Make sure you werar safety glasses and gloves and old clothes. It will also kill the grass if you pour it out. Better off with hot napisan I would suggest.

cheers

Darren

Latest posts

Back