Remineralised R/o

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hadrian

Reaction score
Hi ahb
I have access to an R/O system at work which gets remineralised to 6 ppm.I want to use it for brew water but I have no idea what the 6 ppm is. Does anyone know what remineralisation chambers hold? Or is 6ppm not worth worrying about and should I treat it as zero ppm?

Thanks

Hi ahb
I have access to an R/O system at work which gets remineralised to 6 ppm.I want to use it for brew water but I have no idea what the 6 ppm is. Does anyone know what remineralisation chambers hold? Or is 6ppm not worth worrying about and should I treat it as zero ppm?

Thanks

6ppm is not zero so it has some minerals in it. I have an RO system that I used to use on my coral reef aquarium & my tap water reads at 55ppm of dissolved solids. This is a mineral make up of all the stuff we need like fluoride, calcium etc. Is there a real need for using RO water for your brewing?

No there isn't a real need but I would like to know the content of the water so I can use it...

No there isn't a real need but I would like to know the content of the water so I can use it...

You can get a water analysis done from your local council I'm pretty sure.
It may cost cost you though, maybe give them a call.

The remineralisation chambers should have the details on them. If not, then the company that makes them will easily be able to tell you whats in them.

Fil

My understanding of RO Plants is they have a reject rate. That is, it will reject 99.5% of all dissolved minerals. So your 6ppm could the remianing, in which case it could be a mixture of whatever was in the feed.

Unless it is re mineralised, as you say. In which case you should be easily able to find out what is in there as someone will be responsible for putting it in there. I would guess there will be some chlorine in there if it is drinking water.

A water treatment lab will be able to analyse for a fee (about $50-70 per sample). Or your RO service provider may do that analysis. Either way, your service provider should know what the make up is.

6ppm is pretty low. The potable water we make at work is 150ppm.

Thanks for replies. The water definitely goes through a chamber filled with what looks like travel.
I will have a closser look at it and see if there are any details on it.

Thanks

6ppm is so small that it's virtually irrelevant, just consider the water you get to be distilled/RO water and calculate your salt and other additions from that.

Back