Relocating To Sydney For Work, Unable To Brew :(

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to come hang out and be a brewmate for a day! Im a hard worker, have a solid half a clue, good sanitising practices, ill be a valuable asset to any brewday haha. especailly if i can fill a keg!

I'll post back here once im settled in a place in sydney, and we organise some brewdates ;)

You can store your brewing gear at my house for the time being... I'm on the way in Newcastle. :ph34r:

Where did you do the extract brews? Me and a couple of brew buddies did half a dozen of their full boil/extract brews at UBrewIT over at Keilor Park a year or so ago, including yank & jap lagers, northern english brown ale, dunkelweizen and a little creatures pale ale. Everyone of those was brilliant, in fact i've still got some of the brown ale and LCPA in the fridge and they've aged very, very well. Problem is you have to keep the whole lot in the fridge as soon as you bottle so if you're doing their minimum 6 slabs you need a very big fridge.
We did a SNPA clone there. Very, very nice - for the first week or two. Went shithouse after that, flavour faded fast, even though it was refrigerated. From memory I tipped the last 6-12 beers.

We did a SNPA clone there. Very, very nice - for the first week or two. Went shithouse after that, flavour faded fast, even though it was refrigerated. From memory I tipped the last 6-12 beers.
That is weird, as I said I had a couple of the ~5 month old LCPA clones on the weekend, and they've developed a fantastic floral/citrus hop flavour. And the pommy brown ale was initially very 'grainy', probably too much so at first, and I struggled to drink too much of it...which is why I still have maybe a slab still left....but on tasting now (around 7 months old) it's matured really well, much more balanced on the palate now, which you'd expect from a darker ale. The recipe had 5 litres of dark LME and 125gm of chocolate malt speciality grain iirc (in 50 litres).

Bugger that for a joke. Come brew at my place, cube it and ferment at home.

I've just started testing out my 3 vessel gravity system I bought from MCT.

Surely there's other like minded folk who would appreciate a brewmate for a day. C'mon Sydney. I know we've kinda dropped off the map in terms of case swaps and get togethers. But where's the sense of community gone?
Good on that man! Pour yourself a beer.

That is weird, as I said I had a couple of the ~5 month old LCPA clones on the weekend, and they've developed a fantastic floral/citrus hop flavour. And the pommy brown ale was initially very 'grainy', probably too much so at first, and I struggled to drink too much of it...which is why I still have maybe a slab still left....but on tasting now (around 7 months old) it's matured really well, much more balanced on the palate now, which you'd expect from a darker ale. The recipe had 5 litres of dark LME and 125gm of chocolate malt speciality grain iirc.
Maybe I lucked out. Went halvies with a mate from work, we both experienced the same thing.

U Brew It was then redubbed, "U Poo It", which we thought more fitting...

Maybe I lucked out. Went halvies with a mate from work, we both experienced the same thing.

U Brew It was then redubbed, "U Poo It", which we thought more fitting...
I'd say maybe I was lucky, but having done over 30 slabs there I guess not. Mind you, last time I was there for bottling the LCPA, the guy next to me was bottling a VB clone (I kid you not), and the guy across from me doing what looked like a cider, but upon asking it turned out it was gluten free beer. So you could say it's the Aldi of the brew world based on some of the clientele...

ive tried 2 BYO places for a couple brews and the beers tasted almost metalic and tangy. all styles from english browns, pales, lagers, they all had that weird extract taste. they did improve with age tho, but u can still tell the diff between one of them and a AG brew. mind you the beer is good enough for alot of people and they love it, so i guess its better then buying mass produced comercial crap.

Hey d3vour3r,

I live in Turramurra which is about 10 mins or so up the road from Ryde area.

Don't know my arse from my elbow as just starting out, but if you're up for sharing your knowledge and brewing costs, I'm up for you sharing use of my gear. Oh I should mention that I'm still in the planning stages of setting up! Getting it setup with a mate over Christmas hopefully.

We are planning to start with BIAB and move up/down/on from there. May be a bit low-tech for you but if you're interested let me know.

When do you get down here?

I should also disclose that I'm a pom. :D

Cheers,
Giddo

PS Beer factory in Seven Hills is extract + grains etc.

Cheers,
Giddo
Bribie in disguise?

PS: the OP strikes a nerve. I miss brewing atm. I used to have a balcony, that was brilliant! Anything can be done on a balcony with a hose handy!

I have an electric BIAB setup using a converted keg and I sit it on the kitchen sink (I don't have a brew stand yet). At the end of the brew day everything fits inside 2x 30l buckets and one of the buckets fits inside the keg so I don't use much storage space.
I know your not allowed to brew inside but my wife actually likes the smell especially of the mash. You may have to organize your brew day around her having a day out and you may even have to tell her you baked some bread or a cake and that is what she is smelling.

I live out west and Absolute home brew is a great place and Pat is great and very helpful, he also has FWK but I have never used a FWK from there or anywhere else.

Good luck with your move, I hate moving.

Hey d3vour3r,

I live in Turramurra which is about 10 mins or so up the road from Ryde area.

Don't know my arse from my elbow as just starting out, but if you're up for sharing your knowledge and brewing costs, I'm up for you sharing use of my gear. Oh I should mention that I'm still in the planning stages of setting up! Getting it setup with a mate over Christmas hopefully.

We are planning to start with BIAB and move up/down/on from there. May be a bit low-tech for you but if you're interested let me know.

When do you get down here?

Cheers,
Giddo

i never went too high tech either but i reckon i can help you out cause i was a BIAB brewer as well :) Im marry a pom so no worries there mate. keep me posted with how ur going with ur kit. I get down there mid jan.

Bugger that for a joke. Come brew at my place, cube it and ferment at home.

I've just started testing out my 3 vessel gravity system I bought from MCT.

Surely there's other like minded folk who would appreciate a brewmate for a day. C'mon Sydney. I know we've kinda dropped off the map in terms of case swaps and get togethers. But where's the sense of community gone?

I could do with a pleb every now and then, especially someone on pot cleaning duty :ph34r:

My New Years resolution for next year is to upgrade the ol brewery to allow me to brew double batches. Once I'm setup ill be more than happy to split 23L off into a NC cube if you're willing to split costs and come around on brew day to the inner west to pick it up / maybe help out :)

I'd love to come hang out and be a brewmate for a day! Im a hard worker, have a solid half a clue, good sanitising practices, ill be a valuable asset to any brewday haha. especailly if i can fill a keg!

I'll post back here once im settled in a place in sydney, and we organise some brewdates ;)

Once you know where you are living I'm sure a few people will happily share the brewing and brew.

as for where to move to....ASHFIELD.......half way 'tween auburn and the city on the trains and almost bearable on a bus to town too, buckets of flats to choose from plus some terraces if you're cashed up......plus side you'll have the ISB on your doorstep.....there's a brewcrew

+ 1 to black_labb's comment. i'm happy to learn and brew with new people (i'm quite new to it too though)

Problem is you have to keep the whole lot in the fridge as soon as you bottle so if you're doing their minimum 6 slabs you need a very big fridge. UBrewIT don't have anything in Sydney though afaik.

Why is that ?

Latest posts

Back