Relocating To Sydney For Work, Unable To Brew :(

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d3vour3r

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So im relocating to sydney for work in january, and im most likely going to be living in a small 2 bed aprtment, with no room to brew. So my dilema is that i'm ok to part with my brewing equipment, but i wont part with my keg fridge. So i need to find beer to put in my kegs!

Im looking for a brew your own place in sydney that does AG brewing, because all the BYO places I've come across use extract and they all taste yuck IMO. I've had a couple brews from Craftbrewer up here in brisbane and theyre delicious, so is there a similar place in sydney? i just wanna fill me kegs with lovely beer man.

Hi guys,

So im relocating to sydney for work in january, and im most likely going to be living in a small 2 bed aprtment, with no room to brew. So my dilema is that i'm ok to part with my brewing equipment, but i wont part with my keg fridge. So i need to find beer to put in my kegs!

Im looking for a brew your own place in sydney that does AG brewing, because all the BYO places I've come across use extract and they all taste yuck IMO. I've had a couple brews from Craftbrewer up here in brisbane and theyre delicious, so is there a similar place in sydney? i just wanna fill me kegs with lovely beer man.
Last thing I heard, Bacchus were the only AG place in Australia - Ross may be able to advise whether there are any others around.

Hi guys,

i dont believe there are any all grain brew on premises in sydney

will you have room for a fermenting fridge ? you can pick up some fresh worts locally and ferment them out

what area are you staying in ?

Hi guys,

Braumeister.......

But seriously, I lived in Sydney for a while and the only place I know of is the Beer Factory in Seven Hills. Not sure if they do AG or just extract with spec grains like everyone else. Another option is to get some Fresh Wort Kits, but I also lived in a small apartment in Sydney and managed to get a BIAB system going. Sure it is better with a garage but it is doable.

Hi guys,

I don't think there is any AG, with the exception of Ross.

a brewmeister might be the shot for apartment brewing.

Is a fwk an option.. ESB has them
+1 for the FWK.
I thought Australian Brewery @ Rouse Hill had some little BYO setups a couple of years ago they were going to trial. Not sure.
Worth a phone call.

Is a fwk an option.. ESB has them

If it was just me i'd consider brewing in doors but my fiance wont approve at all lol. FWK might have to be the go, at least with fermenting the only thing i need to do is find a place to ferment and to clean the fermeneter.

so where can one get a FWK in sydney. Im thinking of the meadowbank/ west ryde area, as work is in auburn and my fiance will work in the city, so its kinda in the middle and close to train stations. Im also open to suggestions on where to live haha. bit ofd a sydney noob, lived in brissy most my life.

If it was just me i'd consider brewing in doors but my fiance wont approve at all lol. FWK might have to be the go, at least with fermenting the only thing i need to do is find a place to ferment and to clean the fermeneter.

so where can one get a FWK in sydney. Im thinking of the meadowbank/ west ryde area, as work is in auburn and my fiance will work in the city, so its kinda in the middle and close to train stations. Im also open to suggestions on where to live haha. bit ofd a sydney noob, lived in brissy most my life.
ESB are down at Peakhurst which is a bit of a hike.
You can get one from Dave's @ North Sydney but they're a different brand & $10 more.
Got a car? You'll need it. Got a lockup garage in yr unit? Brew there.
Meadowbank/West Ryde is alright. Epping is serviced by both the Strathfield Line & the Macquarie Uni-Chatswood line. Very handy.
Don't move anywhere on the Carlingford train line... worst/slowest trainline in sydney.... especially when you've had a few.

Stayed with a mate at Epping, it's very reminiscent of Aspley / Chermside West - about the same vintage. Expensive as buggery, however - he pays over $200 for a room in a share house.
If you're working at Auburn maybe have a look at a wee terrace closer in to the city, would give you more options than a walk up apartment.

FWK, with a small bar fridge for fermenting. Keg with picnic tap and sodastream adaptor, or just bottle.

Pat at Absolute Homebrew (St Mary's) always has a great selection of the Brewer's Selection FWKs.

44$ with Saf Yeast, +2$ deposit on the container.

15L makes 20L.

Were great before I got into AG :)

If you have a balcony, the BrauMeister 20L would work really well on it...

hey d3vour3r, i feel your pain about apartment brewing!! I've only done 2 kits and 1 all-grain batch but it really wasn't too bad. The worst part is obviously cleaning up afterwards and numerous trips to bunnings for little bits and pieces like an adapter for the kitchen tap for my wort chiller etc.

I've uploaded these pics before but no idea what post they were in. Not sure what your setup is like but the pics might help you with some ideas or something so you can still brew some delicious golden liquid.

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

It'd be easier to fix this issue. :p

I dunno if there is a fix haha.

Im used to BIAB using a crown urn. My keg setup is a bar fridge with a dual font on top, 2.3kg CO2 bottle and micromatic reg.

If i end up somewhere with a decent garage I'll consider brewing there, but im in the process of consolidating my crap and the brew gear takes up alot of room.

a braumesiter is a pipedream atm, but maybe in the future.

Ill probs just do FWK untill i can work out an ideal situation. aw well, thanks for ur help peops.

If you get involved with other brewers you could probably help out in some ways in exchange for the filling of a keg.

I know I personally brew too much for my needs because I like brewing a variety of beers and less than 20L batches is just a waste of time. I'd be happy to send 15L of a batch from the fermenter someones way in exchange for something suitable (help, ingredients ect). With a few brewers acting like this you could have yourself pretty well organised for beer. All you need to do is organise to have your keg and co2 there at the same time that the brewer is bottling/kegging their part of the batch.

Im looking for a brew your own place in sydney that does AG brewing, because all the BYO places I've come across use extract and they all taste yuck IMO.
Where did you do the extract brews? Me and a couple of brew buddies did half a dozen of their full boil/extract brews at UBrewIT over at Keilor Park a year or so ago, including yank & jap lagers, northern english brown ale, dunkelweizen and a little creatures pale ale. Everyone of those was brilliant, in fact i've still got some of the brown ale and LCPA in the fridge and they've aged very, very well. Problem is you have to keep the whole lot in the fridge as soon as you bottle so if you're doing their minimum 6 slabs you need a very big fridge. UBrewIT don't have anything in Sydney though afaik.

Maybe hook up with some local Sydney-based home brewers, i'm sure one of the boys would be happy for you to brew on their equipment in exchange for some of the brew?

Bugger that for a joke. Come brew at my place, cube it and ferment at home.

I've just started testing out my 3 vessel gravity system I bought from MCT.

Surely there's other like minded folk who would appreciate a brewmate for a day. C'mon Sydney. I know we've kinda dropped off the map in terms of case swaps and get togethers. But where's the sense of community gone?

Latest posts

Back